Comics Uncovered
City of Heroes - Printable Version

+- Comics Uncovered (http://comicsuncovered.com)
+-- Forum: Editorial & Funny Pages... (http://comicsuncovered.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pub... (http://comicsuncovered.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: City of Heroes (/showthread.php?tid=228)

City of Heroes - TheBeyonder - 06-03-2004

Everyone here seems pretty computer savy and obviously comic fans,so I pose a question.
Do any of you play City of Heroes?
Do you guys know what it is?

I'm just curious to get some reveiws of it. I am currently saving some money to buy a new computer just so I can play it. It looks truly amazing!

If you don't know what it's all about check out this site.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cityofheroes.com/">http://www.cityofheroes.com/</a><!-- m -->

A massively multi-player on-line role playing game that centers around Superheros and Villains. They already have a vast history of the COH "universe" and it's inhabitants.The game has been in production for a couple years now and was just released last month.
So anyone here play?
I would love to have some friends "on the inside" when I finally get my new computer. Lol

- Enchantress - 06-03-2004

Actually all posts about fun and games and things like that should go in the Pub, so I'll move this there.

- TheBeyonder - 06-03-2004

Enchantress Wrote:Actually all posts about fun and games and things like that should go in the Pub, so I'll move this there.

Ok,thanx.

I wasn't sure :?

But now I know.
And knowing is half the battle.

- Enchantress - 06-03-2004

And you just G.I. Joe quoted!!!

*sirens and whistles go off, balloons fall...beer all around..except the pregnant lady*

You are officially cool now.

as for the game, we just got a new PC...so all my old Win 95-98 games are deceased...so I'm looking for some new games....intriguing!

- TheBeyonder - 06-04-2004

YO JOE! Big Grin

- Enchantress - 06-04-2004

If I wasn't already married, and you weren't already married.....

Stop it!!!

LOL!!!

- TheBeyonder - 06-05-2004

:oopsy: :wink: :oopsy: :wink: :oopsy: :wink: :oopsy:

"hehe" all flirting aside,if you are looking for some new computer gaming I strongly suggest checking this game out.
It look AWESOME!

I mean come on,what's better then creating a totally unique and custom Superhero and waging war on bad guys? The environment is massive and there is never a dull moment. Just think,you could play as Firefly.

I can't wait for my new computer. Big Grin

- The Mighty Thor - 06-05-2004

Only us geeks would consider quoting G.I.Joe flirting. We are either very refined, or completely whacked out.

But enough of that silliness. I would agree that this game looks interesting. Awesome in fact. How does it work? Do you have to buy the game in a store and then log on to the web in order to interact with everyone else? Is there a waiting list to get in, or do they have cities running rampant with unlimited heroes? Could you give us some more background?

OK here's what I know. - TheBeyonder - 06-05-2004

The Game is sold in stores($40.00 US) With that you get one month of free play.After that it costs about $15.00 US a month to play.You can buy cards that have 60 days of playtime on them,at any game or electronics store that sells the game(so you do not need a credit card like all the other on-line games out there. I know it kinda sucks having to pay to play,but $15.00 a month is WAY less then I spend on my gaming now.

There are 10 servers to choose from,each one is the same,the only difference is the players. If there were only one server the game would be very crowded like Thor said.

You do need to have an internet connection to play.This is a MMORPG(massively multiplayer on-line role playing game)much like Everquest(except better).

There is no waiting lists but some of the servers may be full by now so you just choose a different one,no biggie.

You can start the game and wage a personal war on crime or you can talk to other players and form a Supergroup!

You get to make a character costume(millions of possibilties) at the beginning of the game.Then when you form a team you get to make a "team costume" using the teams color scheme.The only thing that sucks is that as of now there is no option for capes(too much for them to animate)but they said that this will be remedied in the future. Come on Heros without capes? Well at least we got the spandex. Big Grin

There are random punks running around causeing trouble everywhere,so there are always crime to stop.Or you can go to one of your many contacts and get your character specific missions(which are much more involved then just stopping a purse snatcher).

All I can really say is this game is pretty much what I've always dreamed about. A Superhero RPG with unlimited potential. The world of COH is "real".There are huge events in the game that you can participate in.The beta testers were treated with a huge alien invasion at the end of the beta testing.

Right now there is no Player vs. Player option,but there will be with the games first expansion,City of Villains. :twisted:

Also,they(as of last week)have a monthly comic book published by Dark Horse,that features events and story lines from within the game. They have also made it very clear that your created hero could very well end up in an issue of the comic.

There is a world of info I could spew fourth here but those are some of the highlights.

I am a very cheap man,and before this game I would never had payed to play an online game,now I can't wait to give them my money. :roll:

Check out these links for some more info and screenshots and videos oh my.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cityofheroes.com/">http://www.cityofheroes.com/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cityofvillains.com/">http://www.cityofvillains.com/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cohportal.com/index.php">http://www.cohportal.com/index.php</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://pub3.bravenet.com/sitering/show.php?usernum=243636899">http://pub3.bravenet.com/sitering/show. ... =243636899</a><!-- m -->

Hope you guy decide to fight the good fight,it looks like fun Smile

City of Heroes - Local Hero - 06-22-2004

Posted 21/06/2004
Source The Pulse

BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO

Rick Dakan didn't just work on the creation of the popular City of Heroes game, he's also one of the creators bringing the comic book to life each month. We spoke with him about the ins and outs of video game design and how the comics reflect life - or at least the life in the fictional world of Paragon City.

[Image: 1rcoh3.jpg]THE PULSE: For those who aren't really familiar with it yet, what is City of Heroes?
RICK DAKAN: City of Heroes is really two things. First and foremost, it’s a massively multiplayer online computer game from Cryptic Studios and NCSoft. Players create their own costume clad crime fighters and go smash evil in a massive city along with thousands of other simultaneous players. City of Heroes is also a monthly comic book set in the same fictional world that follows the stories of three relatively new heroes as they try and find their own way in this rather unusual world.

THE PULSE: How long did it take to get everything in place for this computer game to make its debut?
DAKAN: All told, from when we first started working on the game to when it shipped was just about exactly four years. And of course the work continues, as the game is constantly being updated and expanded.

THE PULSE: How did you come up with the designs for City of Heroes?
DAKAN: The original idea came to me when I was wracking my brains for something new and interesting to do in the online computer game market. Swords and Sorcery style fantasy setting have never held tremendous appeal for me and were already well represented anyway. I’ve always reacted more strongly to stories in settings I’m more familiar with. But at the same time I wanted a world where you could play someone cool and powerful and interesting. A superhero based setting became the obvious choice. It’s set in our world (sort of) but you can do ANYTHING, tell any kind of story and it fits with the genre.

THE PULSE: What look and feel were you going for with this game?
DAKAN: The one thing the was important to me and the rest of the design team was to take the setting pretty seriously. We didn’t want anything too campy or silly – the old Batman TV series was everything we didn’t want to do. I think superhero stories work best when they don’t wink and nod too much. The idea is already kinda crazy enough that if you start poking too much fun at it, it becomes difficult to tell gripping, effective stories or have interesting characters. At the same time, the team at Cryptic has also made sure it’s a fun, action packed experience – not some sort of dark, brooding vigilante simulation.

THE PULSE: How tough was it to make this game different from the typical games out there in look and design, but still hold something the typical gamer expects in its feel?
DAKAN: I think that the design team has done an extraordinary job finding the balance between comic book style action and adventure and distinctive gameplay while at the same time building on those elements that really work well in other online computer games (such as team play, character archetypes, shared experiences, etc…). I give them a ton of credit for this, as I think it was one of my weakest points when I was lead designer on the game. I’ve always been much more of a stories/background/characters person than a nuts and bolts design guy.

THE PULSE: How did you come up with the villains in City of Heroes? When figuring out how to populate the underworld of City of Heroes?
DAKAN: The villains at first, for the most part, just grew out of things I really dislike. I thought about stuff in the world or history that just really pisses me off and figured that they’d be fun to beat up on if I was a superhero. So hey, fascists. Everyone hates them (or should). Thus the 5th Column, our fascist criminal group that goes all the way back to World War II. Or greedy, manipulative corporations – the inspiration for Crey Industries. But then I wanted to add a bit of a twist – but in groups that had underlying principals that I agreed with, but who had taken them too, too far. So you have the radical environmentalist Devouring Earth or the anarchist/ Fight Club inspired Freak Show. There’s things about those groups I kinda dig, but they’re still bad guys. And of course there were the aliens – the Rikti, who have invaded and wrought tremendous havoc on the world in the months prior to the storyline’s beginning. They’re a bit of a mystery, and you’ll find out later what’s really going on with them.

THE PULSE: For the villains, did you just take a bunch of existing villains and alter them slightly for this new world or are they all all-new?
DAKAN: I always, always, always try to be as all-new as possible. Of course it’s impossible to be all-new. I’m always inspired by something. For instance, we wanted an asian-mafia style villain group, but I didn’t want to do just another Yakuza or ninja knock-off. Instead I based out group, the Tsoo, on Hmong culture (or my no doubt very flawed interpretation of it). Everything else about the group grew from that. I also try and make the backgrounds fairly deep. For example, the Circle of Thorns is our main evil magic-using group, but there’s more to them than meets the eye. They’re not at all what they seem when players first encounter them.

THE PULSE: How did you design the background for the world of the game?
DAKAN: One of my main inspirations was the history of comic books itself. If you read through the history of Paragon City (where the game and comic takes place) you’ll see that it mirrors what happened in comics. So first you have kind of low-power pulp style heroes fighting gangsters and what-not in the 20’s and 30’s. Then the heroes all go off to war to fight the Axis in World War II. Then, in the sixties it’s this kind of mad time of wild super villains and cool silver-age vibe. In the eighties things get dark and gritty with drug addicted heroes and hard core vigilantes. In the nineties things start to become more global and corporate interests get involved. And then the aliens invade. Of course all this was just a framework to build on the story elements and characters I wanted to set up for the modern-day game setting.

THE PULSE: What were some of the most tedious of details to getting this game created?
DAKAN: I’m sure I was lucky enough to miss out on all the most tedious stuff. I know the design team and the QA department spent a long, long time balancing and tuning the gameplay and I had no part of that. I can’t claim the badge of honor of having been involved in too much of the tedium. I give all that credit to the Cryptic design staff because most of it happened after I left.

THE PULSE: What were some of the other challenges you faced working on this?
DAKAN: Well, it really was a massive undertaking and, quite frankly we started out in over our heads and didn’t know it. But luckily we had the talent and time to grow into the project, to hire more people, and to generally get more professional about the whole thing. There were definitely growing pains, but it all seems to have worked out in the end, although I’m pretty sure the current Cryptic team is twice what we originally thought we could do the game with.

THE PULSE: How did you go from doing designs on the game to writing the upcoming comics series?
DAKAN: Well, I still do work on designs for the game, although in a much more limited capacity than I once did. When I left Cryptic it was with the understanding that I would still be doing a lot of writing and background design for them. At the same time, I started my own little publishing company called Blue King Studios. This was originally intended as a way for me to publish some comics ideas that I’d been working on in my spare time while at Cryptic. Then I pitched them the idea of doing a monthly comic based on the City of Heroes game. We’d done a one shot promotional comic before that I’d written, and I had really enjoyed that. NCSoft and Cryptic liked the idea and we went from there.

THE PULSE: Whose idea was it to give everyone playing the game a free subscription to the comic and does the comic subscription last for as long as someone is subscribed to the game or do you get more than one issue per monthly subscription? How's that work?
DAKAN: I don’t really remember whose idea that was exactly, but it came up very early in the discussions with NCSoft and we all agreed it was a great idea. Basically, everyone in the US who subscribes to the game gets a free, bonus subscription to the comic book. As long as they’re playing the game, the comic keeps coming to them each and every month. This gives us an opportunity to touch base with the players in a more physical and visceral way than purely over the Internet and lets us explore the world of City of Heroes in different ways from how they experience it online.

THE PULSE: How do you decide how many copies of the issues to print - how much of an overprint are you doing for the potential new game subscribers each week?
DAKAN: Well, we over-printed pretty heavily on issue 1, because we weren’t sure how many subscribers we’d have in that first month. Now that the game’s been going for a month, it’ll be a little easier to figure out how many to print each month. Basically, each issue ships twice a month, with the list of recipients being pulled from everyone who’s playing the game up to the day before the labels start getting printed and put on books for mailing out to customers. The second shipping is for those who’ve come in later in the month.

[Image: 1rcoh1.jpg]THE PULSE: How did you get Brandon McKinney on the art? What was the process like to get him working on this series?
DAKAN: Getting Brandon was one of the happiest accidents of this whole thing. I had pretty much put the deal together but didn’t have an artist. I remembered that a friend of mine I’d lost touch with knew some comics folk but I’d lost her contact info. I then remembered that she and Warren Ellis used to write back and forth, so I just e-mailed him. Keep in mind, he has no idea who I am. He e-mailed me right back, but didn’t have anything more recent than what I had. But I thought “Hey, Warren Ellis just answered my e-mail. Cool! I’ll bet he knows some artists.” So I e-mailed him back and told him what I was working on. Coincidentally, he’d just had an e-mail from Brandon (who did the art for Switchblade Honey) saying that he was looking for work after having just come off a concept art job at EA. The rest, as they say, is history.

THE PULSE: What's the first arc about?
DAKAN: The first two arcs are each only two issues long. I wanted to get going with some fast-paced stories to introduce the characters and the world. In the first arc, two of our three main characters, War Witch and Apex, are already working together as a team. They appeared in the promotional comic we did a couple of years ago as well. They met our third main character, Horus, when he comes accidentally crashing through their apartment window. This heroic trio goes on the hunt for a mysterious figure names Vahzilok who’s making zombies and stealing body parts from perfectly healthy people to help keep his rich clients alive forever. As this unfolds we get hints about the three heroes and their secrets, particularly Horus and War Witch, who’re both hiding things from their teammates.

THE PULSE: How did you decide which characters to include and what to focus on for the story?
DAKAN: As I mentioned, two of the three characters were ones I’d developed in the first promotional comic we did. I wasn’t a big fan of the third character I’d come up with for that story, so I replaced him with Horus, who’s much more interesting. I picked a villain that players in the game get to fight relatively early on in their game-playing experience so there’d be a sense of familiarity there for the readers. Of course the villains they fight in the second arc, the Carnival of Shadows, aren’t even in the game yet, but they’ll have been recently introduced by the time those issues come out.

THE PULSE: With over 150K people playing the game, it doesn't seem like you'll be lacking heroes. But just how will you decide which heroes from the game to include in the comic?
DAKAN: Well, I’m sure the process will evolve, but right now, I sort of leave that up to the NCSoft customer service folks to pick who gets to appear in the comic. How they make that decision is really up to them, except I provide them with certain basic criteria. For example, I might need a hero that uses magic or one that’s part of an established team to fit into the story in the right way.

THE PULSE: What does the "creator" of said "hero" get if its used in the game?
DAKAN: Whatever vicarious thrills come from seeing your character in print.

THE PULSE: What have been some of the best parts about writing this series?
DAKAN: It’s my first real comics job (it helps that I’m the boss and could give it to me), so that in and of itself is pretty exciting. I absolutely love writing it and I think it’s getting better with each issue as I get to know the characters better. The most fun is trying to come up with new spins on the old superhero themes. For example, right now we’re doing a story arc about Apex serving jury duty on an all-hero jury. That’s not something I’ve ever seen before, and it’s been a blast to write. I hope to keep doing stuff like that more and more.

THE PULSE: How has working with Brandon been?
DAKAN: Working with Brandon has been really great. We hit it right off, which is lucky. He’s very easy to work with and very professional. Plus he’s excited as all get out to be working on a superhero book. We’re having a blast, and I’m having a fun time coming up with new things to challenge him with each month.

THE PULSE: Who else is working on City of Heroes?
DAKAN: Moose Bauman, who’s worked on Green Lantern and Action Comics among other titles, is doing a bang-up jobs on colors for us. Neil Hendrick, who’s part of Blue King Studios, does the lettering and layout. He’s also writing a comic called Boy and Robot that we’re going to publish later this year.

THE PULSE: Why should people check this out?
DAKAN: People should check out the game because, quite frankly, it rocks. There’s nothing like it out there. I’ve never enjoyed MMORPG’s like Everquest, but I love playing City of Heroes. As for the comic, they should check it out because it too is not quite like much else out there. We’re telling a, hopefully, unique kind of superhero story in a relatively new and unique setting. The goal has always been to make a comic book that appeals just on its own merits, and I think we’re doing that. So hey, check it out!

THE PULSE: What other projects are you working on?
DAKAN: Well, I mentioned Boy and Robot that Neil’s working on with a really talented local artist named Austin McKinnley. I’m also workings, slowly but surely, on a comic called State of Fear with another local artist, Augi Schmitz. Finally, we’re doing a full text comic-book adaptation of William Shakespeare’s Macbeth, which we’ll hopefully be ready for release by early next year.

I'm Back! - TheBeyonder - 09-13-2004

O.k. I haven't posted here in a while or anywhere for that matter. Why you ask,because I have finally built my new gaming machine and have been playing City of Heroes heavily for a month now.

Now this is my first MMORPG (massively multi-player online role playing game) so I don't really have much to compare it to,other than watching my friend play Everquest for a couple minutes. In comparison to EQ this game has way more to offer a comic fan. This game is seriously like a comic geek/Gamers wet dream.

Who are you?
The character creator is absolutely amazing! I have been playing 1 primary and three secondary characters for over a month now and have never seen another hero that looked even close to any of mine(and there are a LOT of other heroes.....around 200,000 at this point). There are more character variations in this game then there are slots in Vegas. I just last night saw an entire group of X-Men:Jean,Wolvie,Iceman,Emma and 2 nightcrawlers,all standing at the train station posing for screenshots. I have also seen The Wonder Twins (with Gleek) ,Superman,WonderWoman,Aquaman,Sigmund Freud,Sonny and Cher, and a whole bunch of Iron-Men,all of them looked like the names. At the right time of day you can see a few hundred heroes in just a couple minutes and none of them look the same(unless they were intended to).

With a little help from my friends!
At any given point in the game you can quickly team up with your buddy (or a stranger for that matter) to complete a mission that might be a little too much for you to finish solo. Or if you have been playing the game for a while and are at a higher level then your friend that just got the game,you can make him or her your side-kick,essentially bringing the lower level character to one level below the stronger character,allowing them to still play together without being a hinderance.

The game world is MASSIVE!
I am sure most of the people on this site have either seen or played the last couple GTA(Grand Theft Auto) games,Vice City etc. The world of that game is probably about one twentieth the size of the world in COH. That's not counting the expansive sewer systems and alternate reality zones. There are building interiors,rooftop crime in every level,levels that have been torn apart by earthquakes or rioting and they look like it,Trains and ferries to ride,huge statues everywhere to comemorate the death of this worlds "Silver-Age" heroes and there are even alternate reality zones in which you never know what's going to happen.

Heroes are people too!
So far my experience with the other heroes in Paragon City has been nothing but great! All the higher level heroes I have met are very helpful and cool,and I try to extend the same courtesy to the newbies I encounter now. Examples of this kind of thing is stuff like: I have been fighting a group of baddies that is getting the best of me and some random hero will stop on his way to whatever his destination is to help me,either by healing me and keeping me in the fight or by simply lightening my load by taking on a couple baddies himself. I have also just stood in Atlas Park and talked to a group of heroes for an hour about our heroes bio or costume or whatever( I try not to break character while playing my primary hero).

All in all I must say that this is the coolest game I have EVER played,and all my friends agree. It is WELL worth the 15 bucks a month. It has been out for about four months and they have already updated the game twice(added new content,zones,character customization,villain groups,social areas,and what they call quality of life issues such as chat functions and menus and stuff).

I highly recomend this game to anyone looking to actually feel like a hero in a world that needs you.
I can't say enough about this game,I love it and if any one here decides to take the plunge let me know,evil never sleeps and neither do I.

Chris.

- The Truth - 09-13-2004

I have been very interested in this game since I first heard about it, but as my computer isn't exactly built for gaming I've shyed away from trying to install anything. Plus at the time the 15 bones a month was a little bit much for my non existant budget. Now however, with the news of City of Villains (the trailer for it looks awesome btw) coming out soon, and a bit more moolah in my pockets, I might just have to invest in some hardware upgrades and a copy of the game.

Personally, I have only played one MMORPG before, and that was Phantasy Star Online, a much different genre than CoH. I did however get a chance to play a bit of CoH at Wizard World Chicago and the little bit I played was indeed very fun (Even if I couldn't figure out a way to turn off superspeed). It is definitely something I as a gamer and comic fan could easily find myself wasting an unhealthy amount of hours on.

- TheBeyonder - 09-13-2004

The Truth Wrote:I have been very interested in this game since I first heard about it, but as my computer isn't exactly built for gaming I've shyed away from trying to install anything. Plus at the time the 15 bones a month was a little bit much for my non existant budget. Now however, with the news of City of Villains (the trailer for it looks awesome btw) coming out soon, and a bit more moolah in my pockets, I might just have to invest in some hardware upgrades and a copy of the game.

Personally, I have only played one MMORPG before, and that was Phantasy Star Online, a much different genre than CoH. I did however get a chance to play a bit of CoH at Wizard World Chicago and the little bit I played was indeed very fun (Even if I couldn't figure out a way to turn off superspeed). It is definitely something I as a gamer and comic fan could easily find myself wasting an unhealthy amount of hours on.

Sounds like me a couple months ago,I scrimped and saved for a couple months to get a new puter,just so I could play this game.
And it's funny you mention playing at WWC, I tried it for the first time at Comic-Con and I couldn't figure how to turn the powers on and off either,but now that I have the game it is not hard to learn at all.
And yes if you get this game,expect to spend a better part of the near future playing it,it is very addictive. Heck,sometimes I just play with the Hero creator to see what kind of cool looking hero I can come up with.

Well,Truth,I hope to see you on the streets of Paragon in the near future.

- The Truth - 09-13-2004

Well if you do see me on the streets at some point in the near future, please be forewarned that I'm liable to try and kill you. Wink

And as far as the hero creator goes I've seen screen shots of, like you said, a great many comic characters, as well as heroes from various other video games as well. Personally I wouldn't mind having a demo of the creator myself just to mess around with for a bit, but I doubt they've released the character creator as a stand alone program.

Re: I'm Back! - GlennWalker - 10-07-2004

TheBeyonder Wrote:O.k. I haven't posted here in a while or anywhere for that matter. Why you ask,because I have finally built my new gaming machine and have been playing City of Heroes heavily for a month now.

Chris, this was a great post, and a great review of the game! :-) Would you have any interest in rewriting it as a review for my Comic Widows website? Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

Glenn

- SLVRSR4 - 10-14-2004

They are making a City of Heroes exclusive SAMARITAN Heroclix figure. Go to INDY CLIX.COM to see it. He's not that bad. Cool idea, too.

Re: I'm Back! - TheBeyonder - 10-15-2004

GlennWalker Wrote:
TheBeyonder Wrote:O.k. I haven't posted here in a while or anywhere for that matter. Why you ask,because I have finally built my new gaming machine and have been playing City of Heroes heavily for a month now.

Chris, this was a great post, and a great review of the game! :-) Would you have any interest in rewriting it as a review for my Comic Widows website? Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

Glenn

Well,Glenn.
I have never written a reveiw before so I may need some pointers,but I would love to. I have another month of gameplay(and a bunch more levels) under my belt since that post,so I actually have more to comment on now.

Also,I figured I'd use this thread to keep yall updated on what is going on in Paragon City.
This week was the annoucement of the "SSOCS" (Super Secret Out of Combat System) for City of Heroes. Now,gamers would know this as a "crafting system",like I said before,this is my first MMORPG so I don't have anything to compare it to. The system will deal with hero "skills" such as Investigation,Communications,Psychology etc. What this will bring to the game is even more customization of your character,and a way to develope them without the constant "grind" of hunting bad guys for Exp. This sounds really cool to me,and will be a great addition to this already amazing game.
Since my last post we have seen the implementaion of "Issue 2" to the live servers. This recent update to the game has added......2 new zones,2 new villain groups,countless quality of life issues,a new dance club for the city's heroes to unwind(and dance of course),and the highly debated badge system and.....oh yeah CAPES!
The badge system has added a whole new dynamic to the game. You now earn badges as you progress through the game,and these badges can be viewed by your fellow heroes as a sort of bragging rights. Right now there are 171 badges to earn,and there are many ways to earn them,for instance: You get a badge for every 10 levels you increase,so you get one for reaching level 10,20,30 and so on. You also get badges for defeating certain numbers of Bosses from the various villain groups,completeing certain missions or task forces,reading certain history plaques throughout the city and then there are the exploration badges witch you get simply by finding them hidden in the city.
This badge system has given me an entire new way to play,in that I can now spend an hour exploring and actually get something for it.
My main character is level 30 now,and I have 99 badges,so there is still plenty for me to do.

I also wanted to say that as I progress through the game,it seems to get bettter and better. As you get to the higher levels your powers really start to bloom,and so do the villains. I have now had to become very aware of my environmet because the new zones I'm fighting in are covered with snipers that are more then happy to shootdown passing heroes that aren't paying attention. As you progress to a more respectable level (25 or higher) you see a lot less of the immature children that play the game,as most don't have the attention span to reach the higher levels,and it is great! I can now openly role play with almost every hero I encounter,and not get the "hehe,your dumb." "knights are stupid" stuff you may see from the newbies.
To me this game is ALL about RPing,you are given a chance to be a super hero and act as one,and at the higher levels this becomes way more rewarding.

And hey Surfer.
I checked the Indyclix site and all I saw was the Statesman cick. Is that the one you were referring to? I did not see any Samaritan.
PC4L! :wink:

P.S.
Here is a link to a site that features different heroes in Paragon. This link will take you to my main characters profile. Be sure to check the Additional surveilence reports in the lower right hand corner(here you will find screenshots of the Dance club and the Christopher Reeve memorial).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.creyindustries.com/viewhero.php?id=6873">http://www.creyindustries.com/viewhero.php?id=6873</a><!-- m -->

Enjoy. Big Grin

- SLVRSR4 - 04-02-2005

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am now indoctrinated into the AWESOME world that is CITY OF HEROES. I don't know if you still look at this site, Beyonder, but you and anybody else can find me on there as either WHERE-WOLF, JUGGERKNIGHT, or BLUE APPARITION. Right now I'm generally around Atlas Park in the INFINITY server. drop me a line, we'll fight crime together!