Comics Uncovered
The New Line-Up (SERIOUS SPOILERS!) - Printable Version

+- Comics Uncovered (http://comicsuncovered.com)
+-- Forum: The House of Ideas... (http://comicsuncovered.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Avengers Mansion... (http://comicsuncovered.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The New Line-Up (SERIOUS SPOILERS!) (/showthread.php?tid=370)

The New Line-Up (SERIOUS SPOILERS!) - GlennWalker - 08-14-2004

From Wizard World Chicago, the new line-up of the Avengers...

[spoiler]
Captain America

Iron Man

Spider-Man

Luke Cage

Wolverine

Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)

Sentry

Definitely these seven, among others.[/spoiler]

Not a joke, not an imaginary story, the new Avengers!

Glenn Walker

- Vargas - 08-15-2004

Well I agree with the choice of the first two. After that . . .

:x

- Local Hero - 08-15-2004

Given that I don't yet know the WHOLE team, I am waiting before I pass any major judgement. I will say that although I know there is a problem of overexposure I do understand the reasons given for the change (and it isn't just money although that is a major factor).

Fans have to remember that whenever a new writer takes over a team book there is usually a change in lineup which reflects that writer's interests (I'm talking about long term writers not fill-in). Granted the changes are not usually as sweeping, although the fan reaction to an announcement like Cap's Kooky Quartet would probably have garnered a similar reaction at the time if the internet had been as prevalent (frankly some of the reactions I have read at other sites have been nothing short of Marvel/Bendis/Quesada bashing). Reasons why this isn't the same as that previous team shake-ups being given being frankly risible (such as Thor, IM, etc left because they felt they couldn't contribute the time to both the avengers and their OWN books.. erm hello.. mixing comic reality and REAL reality there.

Anyways.. I am gonna watch this space.. I hope my faith that Joe Q and Bendis know what they are up to long term isn't misplaced.

- SLVRSR4 - 08-17-2004

I talked to Bendis personally at WW Chicago, and all he asks is for people to just sit back and bite their lips for now. Wait to see what is going to happen, and THEN make your decision on what you think about it. He said you he can't please everyone (not that he isn't going to try!) When all is said and done, if you like what he did, that's great. If you don't like it, that is your oppinion and you have every right to have it. By the way, did I mention that Brian Michael Bendis is an extremely awesome man to get to have a conversation with?

- Enchantress - 08-17-2004

Yeah, because Wolverine isn't getting ENOUGH book time now as it is.
Sheesh!
Honestly, that would be my only complaint about this line up. I'll give anything a try...but COME ON!

- GlennWalker - 01-26-2005

SLVRSR4 Wrote:I talked to Bendis personally at WW Chicago, and all he asks is for people to just sit back and bite their lips for now. Wait to see what is going to happen, and THEN make your decision on what you think about it. He said you he can't please everyone (not that he isn't going to try!) When all is said and done, if you like what he did, that's great. If you don't like it, that is your oppinion and you have every right to have it. By the way, did I mention that Brian Michael Bendis is an extremely awesome man to get to have a conversation with?

Bendis IS a hell of a guy and I readily confess I enjoy the hell out of most of the stuff he writes... however, his New Avengers has been a roller coaster ride with more disappointments and horrors than thrills.

In the beginning I was wholeheartedly waiting and seeing before reacting negatively. I had faith in his ability as a writer with an admitted love for the characters. I constantly defended him to other Avengers fans to wait and see as bendis himself has several times advised.

He's been on the book for six issues. And I'm sorry, but it's not getting much better.

Glenn Walker

- Freshmutt - 02-19-2005

First: Sorry I've been gone so long.

Second:

GlennWalker Wrote:He's been on the book for six issues. And I'm sorry, but it's not getting much better.

Glenn Walker

I only have up to issue 3. Where are you getting yours?

Third: I hope someone can restore my sanity.

In issue 3, Cap is going around and asking people to join. When he confronts Peter Parker my first thought was, "Didn't he recently ask Spider-man to join, and Spidey asked about the money, and Cap said there was no money, and Spidey was pissed?"

So when I got to that part in the issue, I thought that Marvel was quite lame for rehashing the same dialogue, but I couldn't remember where I had seen that exchange before.

I am still going through the process of checking every book with Spider-man that I've read recently, but I'm starting to wonder if I somehow read Avengers #3 in the past. Now with Glenn saying he's read up to #6, I'm really thinking there are holes in the space/time continuum.

- GlennWalker - 02-19-2005

Freshmutt Wrote:First: Sorry I've been gone so long.

Second:

GlennWalker Wrote:He's been on the book for six issues. And I'm sorry, but it's not getting much better.

Glenn Walker

I only have up to issue 3. Where are you getting yours?

Bendis began his run in Avengers #500, continued through to #503, wrote Avengers Finale and then began New Avengers #1-3. so, technically I was wrong. Bendis has done eight issues. Sorry for any confusion...

Glenn Walker

- Enchantress - 04-17-2005

Ok, besides Glenn and myself...is anyone else reading this?

I don't know Glenn. I know it's not the Avengers we've grown up with or have always known and loved, but part of me is kinda enjoying what's gone on so far.

That was, until I saw Wolverine's claws pop out at Spider-Woman at the end of the last issue I read.

- SLVRSR4 - 04-18-2005

Nova and myself reading this one too.

I can say, despite my hatred for all things Wolverine, that I am enjoying this so far. Bendis writes excellent dialogue. Characters interacting in very entertaining ways. For instance, Luke Cage Vs. Electro. Anybody who has read the issue knows what I'm talking about. And what's the deal with the person that Electro was sent to bust out of the raft? Is it just me or did that come from WAAAY out in left field?

- GlennWalker - 04-18-2005

Gotta disagree, Silver. Bendis writes excellent dialogue for characters he either knows or has himself created. Other characters, I find his realistic dialogue technique lacking. As I said previously, I love most everything BMB writes, but without a doubt, New Avengers is his weakest product by far.

Glenn