Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image: PVP Goes Monthly
Reported 20/04/2004
Source ComicsContinuum

[Image: pvp9th.jpg]Scott Kurtz's PvP, published by Image Comics, will be moving from a bi-monthly to a monthly schedule beginning in July. The move, starting with PvP #9, follows the June release of the first PVP trade paperback, which collects the first six issues. Kurtz's online comic strip revolves around the staff of a gaming magazine (including a big blue troll intern named Skull) and their day-to-day adventures. Each issue of PvP collects 22 pages of strips in the same "sideways" landscape format as Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows. "I can't believe I just finished my first year with Image Comics," said Kurtz. "I was so terrified the market wouldn't support a black-and-white humor book that Frank Cho didn't draw, but lo and behold, sales have been great and reaction has been overwhelming. Retailers and fans alike have been asking me to go monthly, and I finally feel secure enough to take that plunge."

"We're couldn't be happier for Scott and PvP," said Image managing editor Eric Stephenson, "and we're excited that the comic has been able to build its readership from its early days on the Web. That's not an easy feat for a humor book in today's market." Kurtz said PvP has given him a personal creative outlet without forcing him to make editorial concessions. "Image has fulfilled my dream of being a newspaper cartoonist but, unlike the syndicates, they aren't demanding my soul in return," Kurtz said. "When people read PvP, I want them to remember the days when they looked forward to reading the funny pages. Just like the comics page, every issue of PvP is a great jumping-on point."

PvP #9 goes on sale July 21.