Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thor: Ragnarok
While i despise the whole renumbering as a gimmick malarky, I must say that as far as the whole thor/ragnarok concept goes, I am much of the opinion that that ragnarok should not be seen as so much as the end of the world, but only the end of the world as we know it. Think of it like a cosmic reboot.

For anyone who hasn't read alan moore's Top 10 series, there is a bit in it where the cops visit the 'Godz' bar, where Loki has incited one of the other gods to kill his brother(Balder I think) with some mistletoe. the twist in the story is that after a period of time the 'murdered' brother is restored to life and the whole cycle repeats itself over and over. I think this is part of norse mythology that is missed. Ragnarok may be the end of all things, but it also sets things up to begin the world anew.

Ragnarok

Ragnarok is the day of the last world battle. First, three little ice ages will fall upon the world, known as the Fimbulvetr, and many other prophetic signs will appear. When the time finally arrives, all the cocks in the world will crow simultaneously. The fire giants lead by Surt will come out of Muspelheim and march toward Vigrid, the place of the final battle. Naglfar, the ship made of dead men's nails, will sail the frost giants to the battlefield, lead by Loki and Hel. Heimdall, the watcher on the rainbow bridge, will sound his horn, Gjallar, signifying the end of the world. He and his adversary Loki will battle to the death, with neither being the victor.

The Fenris-wolf will be released from his chains and wreak havoc across the world. He will finally devour Odin in the last moments of battle. The World Tree Yggdrasil will perish and a new and improved world will spring from its roots.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]

Messages In This Thread