Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Small Press Comic
I started this thread because I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone's interest lie when they move away from the big 4 publishers (DC including Vertigo and Wildstorm, Marvel, Image and Crossgen)

A couple of books I picked up a while back still stick in my mind.

The first is Codename:Babetool published by COM.X

Plot:
What, Who, and Where is 'Angel Azul'???!!! To know exactly you must explore this extravagant trade paperback through a wild, ultra-sleek, futuristic ride into the post-tech city of Kido where a dark cloud looms over it, known as The Dawn Lair. Leon (the leader of Kido city) orders the Facade members - Tobias, Raoul, and the enigmatic masked soldier CODENAME: BABETOOL – to seek the answer to this mysterious question. All hopes of saving Kido city rest on them, through a series of inner conflicts as well as all out non-stop action battles with TAO the leader of the aerial city, The Dawn Lair, and his warriors who seek "angel azul" believing it to be a weapon to help them destroy Kido city. Codename: Babetool and The Facade fight in order to stop The Dawn invasion which would lead to enslavement of Kido's population and possible destruction. Leaving the question: is "angel azul" the salvation or destruction of a city?

Comments:
Writer Jose Luis Gaitan scripts a very powerful story of a world that has become stagnant and which allows no growth. He touches on so much of our realities, with a world consumed by a War Against Terrorism, economic worries, anxiety, militant pressure; It is a world that has forfeited a chance to explore ideals and live in silent fear of the conflict between Kido and The Dawn Lair. Just when you think that's bad enough, Gaitan then adds an emotional bout with the super sleek Codename: Babetool, who tries to cope with the mysterious mask she wears and the commitment she does not yet know she has truly made by wearing the mask; of course she has a mentor to help her through it. But, be that as it may, like all great mentors he kicks the bucket and she is forced to confront her demons alone. That is the great thing about this book: Gaitan has managed to create an intriguing character by showing some background to establish her yet not fully giving her origin away to allow you to grow with the character over the course of future stories. Gaitan adds even more internal as well as external conflict between the supporting cast of characters, Tobias and Rao, by delving into the subject of sexuality. This makes for an interesting story within a story. William Toborda's art is completely manga-influenced, no doubt about it. Very simple drawings, yet with all the tone paper he uses along with his fantastic line style and weights. The tone is placed in different ways than most manga, making each piece unique visually and helping it to differ from the usual manga art style so commonly done. He clearly illustrates characters that are memorable and individually unique in appearance.

It is truly amazing to know that two South Americans did this book entirely. Talk about breaking into the American mainstream market of comics and especially through a British publisher who is making waves all over the comic industry. Only Com.X comics would find something unique as this and have it wave under their banner. To be honest, manga from any other publisher never appealed to me as this book has. This book has so much to offer to new and die hard fans of Manga comics; even ranking amongst the greats such as Blade Of the Immortal, Cannon God Exxaxion and Lone Wolf and Cub. The trade costs $12.99, and it entirely worth it as you get three comics collected herein, along with a design sketchbook by Walter Toborda and several other artists’ interpretations of Babetool. An excellent package.

Final Word:
Gaitan successfully manages to give us a story that hopefully will continue into a regular comic series or possibly into another collected set to fully get into Codename: Babetool. Also Toborda leaves us with this sequential masterpiece only to hope that we will see more manga-style visuals he will do in the future or possibly the anticipated second trade. After all, this is a story that cannot be left unfinished. I must reiterate that while it is only a 3 issue collection, it beats some larger TPBs I have bought in terms of what it packs in. Safe to say if you like an intelligent story and kick ass robot/clone decapitations this may be the book for you.

The second book also tickled me strangely with it's quirky humour and great artwork. This book is from apcomics and is entitled Monster Club. A collection of the first 5 issues of this ongoing series, together with some great pinups and concept sketches. This one really blew me away with its humour, crisp art, and more decapitations than you can shake a bloody katana at. (OK OK I seem to be decapitation obsessed today...) The art style is one that you are going to either really like or really hate. I say that only because I know quite a few people who won't buy books with an art style like this. These people hate manga so much that anything that looks like it is slightly influenced by art from Japan will send them in a blind rage and will make them run to the nearest Kirby drawing. That said, if you think you would be a fan of an art style very similar to that of the cartoon/band Gorillaz...this is your book. I think the two comics that would translate the best to cartoon format would be this and Hero Bear and the Kid. I could get into a whole rant on how this is the kind of book that could get kids back into comics (as well as girls because the lead character is quite female) but I will save that for another time. My favourite comic store has started stocking this book now and even went as far as bundling the first 6 issues together for sale at a price complarable with the first TPB. The script is mostly one-liners and puns, but if you relax and aren't real critical of the lack of deep meanings it can be quite the fun book.

So, that's the sort of thing I read when I move away from the big four, where do you go when you stray when you go off the beaten track?
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]

Messages In This Thread