Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter One: The Watch
"I watch as they react. They are inquisitive...relieved...angry. Their emotions rule them. I hope that the Sorcerer has chosen wisely with these beings."

Each of them had their opinions on the current situation, and Dr. Strange knew that. So he simply took a moment to step back from the assembled group and let them ask their questions and speak their minds. Stephen noticed that the stranger among them, Matua, seemed confused. He was having difficulties grasping the physics of the moment. He also took note of Peter's anger. The masked man did his best to conceal it, but one as attuned to his surroundings as Dr. Strange couldn't help but notice. Realizing the heroes needed more of an explanation to soothe their concerns, Dr. Strange continued.

"I realize that some of you may not know me. I am the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, Dr. Stephen Strange. It is my task to safeguard this particular corner of reality against any that would do it harm. I have a counterpart in every reality, and it is their role to do the same as I. Now, I can understand if you are harboring anger over the time you spent with the Timebroker. But you should not. You accomplished far more than you could know in your travels. Even though it may have seemed like all your efforts brought was death, allow me to assure you it was not. Your deeds were heroic, even if they were guided by something less then pure fact. The entity known as the Timebroker was only doing what it thought was right. It sensed a growing ripple throughout time and space and perceived it as a threat to reality. Such a conclusion was certainly possible, for as many of you probably know, stranger things have happened. But fortunately for all of existence, what the Timebroker sensed was not a collapse, but merely a great and widespread increase in divergent realities, splitting off of one another at an exponential rate.” Looking at Matua once again, Dr. Strange realized that he was perhaps speaking in terms that the man could not fully understand. He did not want to insult the man’s intelligence, but at the same time he wanted to be sure that everyone understood. “In case some of you are unfamiliar with the concepts surrounding alternate realities, allow me to explain. Simply stated, an alternate reality is a separate universe created due to alternate choices. For example, in your daily life, you may choose to go outside and watch the sun set. But you could also have made the choice to remain in doors and play with your children. Either one of those choices could cause your life to change in different and unpredictable ways. And with each choice you make, or do not make, a complete different reality may be forged.”

Stephen attempted a genuine smile, hoping to set the group at ease. As Henry said, each of them had been through some difficult times recently, and they deserved a rest. Allowing his spell to drop, the walls of the Watcher’s citadel became visible once more. As the room seemed to reform around them, Dr. Strange ushered them toward the door, out onto the moons surface. For the first time since his guests arrived, the Watcher allowed his gaze to shift for only a moment as he briefly surveyed the group as they left his presence. As they walked, Stephen Strange continued, “Do not allow your surroundings to alarm you. The Blue Area of the Moon is completely habitable, with no danger to any of you. You will find that you can move and breath as easily here as you could anywhere. We have the Kree Empire to thank for that. And as Uatu’s home is not exactly built for entertaining, I thought we would find a bit more comfortable surroundings. As for your time spent together, that is completely up to you. If you wish to remain, you may. Or you may return to your lives at any time you wish. And you will certainly not be required to serve with us indefinitely. You will only be called upon when you are needed. The rest of the time you may continue to live your lives as you have always known them. Sage, you specifically asked what I expect of you? Simply put, I need you to help me keep watch...to assist in observing the rapid increase in alternate realities, and to protect them. To be heroes.”

Messages In This Thread