Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter One: The Watch
”I watch one of the Sorcerer’s charges return to my chamber. He is unhappy and conflicted with the decision that he must make. But only he can make it. Only Matua knows what is best for himself. It is not for I to judge this man, only to watch and hope that his destiny leads him in the direction that he is hoping to go.” After a seemingly endless string of moments had passed, Uatu finally looked down at Matua. His gaze seemed to burn straight through the smaller man with an intensity that set the man on edge. But when he spoke, Matua somehow knew everything was going to be all right. Because as intense as the alien’s eyes were, his voice was the exact opposite. It was filled with compassion and understanding, “I know only too well how the weight of a decision such as the one you now face can burden one’s heart, Matua. You feel obligated to complete one chapter before beginning anew. That in itself is commendable and is nothing for you to feel guilty about. When you are ready, you may rejoin the Sorcerer’s quest. But for now, do what you must.” And then, seemingly from nowhere, a white portal appeared and the Watcher ushered Matua through it, to rejoin his comrades once more in the Negation universe.

Elsewhere on the Moon’s surface, a fire was burning brighter than the one who wielded it had ever witnessed before. It was growing out of control and Victoria Essex was frightened. She was suddenly afraid that everything Sam had warned her of would inevitably come true. That she could no longer control the Phoenix force that was quickly rising to the surface of her mind. But then, inexplicably, the fires seemed to burn themselves out and the hissing voice of the cosmic entity quieted to a whimper and retreated into the farthest corner of her consciousness, behind the mental safeguards that Sage had helped to erect. Between the fingers that covered her face in horror, Victoria peered out of tear soaked eyes to find herself in control once more. Standing just a few feet before her stood the astral form of Dr. Strange, hands raised in a spell pattern, obviously holding the fiery deity at bay. In a somewhat distant yet compassionate voice Stephen spoke, “It is a mighty burden that you hold upon your shoulders. But remember, you are not in this alone. We should all be watching out for one another. Even if the weight of our problems seems too much to bear at times. Together we can overcome the most traumatic of possibilities. But for now, I think it is time to get you back upon firmer ground. Please, return to your friends and I will expedite your departure. They are growing concerned over your well being.”

After pulling herself together as much as she could, Victoria walked back to the group only to find that the large man called Matua was nowhere to be found, but in his place stood a most odd looking newcomer. He was covered from head to toe in chrome, which reflected the starlight in an almost beautiful way. Dr. Strange and his large green companion, Rintrah had also rejoined the group. As she took her place beside Hank, Dr. Strange gave her a wink and a half smile that only she was able to see. He obviously had no intention of singling her out amongst the newly formed team. Victoria had arrived only moments after Strange and Rintrah, and had apparently arrived just in time for The Watch’s final introduction, “It is my displeasure to inform you that Matua felt his presence was needed more greatly down another path. Uatu has assisted him in his request, and returned him to the reality from whence he came. It is my hope that one day he may return to aid in your journeys. But for now you shall proceed without him. But not before I introduce your final teammate. He is called Norrin, and he is a most special case. He suffers from a most severe case of amnesia, and does not recall anything about his past. I brought him here in the hopes to keep him safe, and he has in turn agreed to accompany you in your travels. Even though some of you may recognize him from your own time and space, please refrain from giving him too much information about himself. I fear that there may have been safeguards put in place by the one who did this to him that would make his situation far worse if he was to know the truth of his being. For now, I simply ask that you treat him and each other as you would a friend. And now that you are finally gathered, I believe we can begin. But before we do, are there any final questions or concerns? Because once we get under way, there may be no looking back.”

Messages In This Thread