Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter One: The Watch
Hank stood torn between reaching out to the newcomer and just hanging back to see how this new team would handle it. If he told the truth he was relieved that for the first time in seemed like forever everyone was not looking to him to solve their problems. Turning away to look up at the blue gem that was their home world, Hank was distracted by Matua leaving the group and heading back the way they had come. He took a few steps after him, then paused. Perhaps he wanted to be by himself, after all this was a lot to take in at first, and it seemed that the world hanging above them was no Matua's home. Hank looked upwards once more, a small sigh escaping his lips. He wondered absently if he could ever find a home there himself someday. Shaking his head almost imperceptibly he turned back towards the group in time to see this strange Rogue drop her cloak revealing a strange conglomerate body which was strangely familiar.

He took a couple of steps closer to 'Toria as he concentrated on her thoughts, becoming somewhat uneasy at the situation. Rogue seemed to be rambling on about something she had done. Something bad. Well what else was new, Hank was sure they had all done things they wish they hadn't even by accident, he knew he had. 'Toria's half joking question filled his thoughts. "I would love to see any version of Piotr and Kitty again hon." he thought back. "And I don't think it would be as bad as you think. I'm sure they would be able to take it pretty much in their stride." He smiled, running the back of his hand gently down her arm. Again however he kept silent, letting the team sort out their own dynamic. Spider seemed a lot more vocal than Hank had ever heard him, however he wasn't sure if he had picked the right time to become so outspoken, but something about this newcomer had obviously reached out to him in some way.

As Hank turned his golden eyes over the group once more, his eyes widened at Rogue's revellation. Almost unbidden his hands closed into fists at the thought of his friends' deaths, fingers curling inwards so tightly the claws at their tips punched into his palms. Hank felt his lip twitch up over his canines. Words tried to form in his throat, but he couldn't vocalize his feelings. Turning away sharply, his breath coming in short almost animalistic pants, Hank struggled to contain his rising rage. It wasn't his friends this girl had murdered. He had never met her Fantastic Four, never fought for his life beside them. They were nothing to him, and yet when he squeezed his eyes shut, his mind was filled with images if his friends lying, unmoving, at the feet of this strange girl. Hank tried to concentrate on 'Toria's thoughts, looking for something to hold onto, something to counter the rage that was still building in him.

But when he reached out it was not the familiar soothing tone of 'Toria that met him, but the hissing song of the Phoenix entity. "'Toria?" All other thoughts fled his mind as he turned to see his love striding away from the group. Hank strode after her, blood dripping slowly from his punctured palms onto the ancient floor as his healing factor kicked in to close the wounds. Stepping as close to 'Toria as the flames allowed, Hank reached out, joining her in reciting the poem which he knew helped anchor her. He was most relieved when the astral form of Stephen appeared beside them, his hands moving as he cast one of his incantations. As the firey halo surrounding 'Toria subsided Hank reached out to take her hand in his, drawing her to him as they returned to the garden and yet another newcomer.

Hank kept his arm around 'Toria's shoulder, kept his thoughts with her. "You feeling more yourself hon?" he asked concerned, all his previous rage replaced. His feelings towards Rogue would wait. He would deal with them at a more suitable time, but he couldn't still his tongue when she spoke of trust. "We have all learned that trust has to be earned, it cannot simply be given. Let your actions from this day on speak your worth." he rasped, instantly chiding himself for allowing his feelings to take over. Turning away from the young girl towards the other newcomer, another flash of recognition bit Hank together with a pang of guilt and regret. "Hello.. Norrin?" he said, maintaining a hopefully even tone. "Mutie? I'm afraid you just experienced one of the nastier sides of humanity. They can be an incredibly caring people, unless they percieve you as different or threatening. Unfortunately in those situations, they seem to lose all faculty of reasoning and tend to group those they do not understand together, wether they are related or not. Mutie is a slang shortening of Mutant, those such as I born different from the norm. As I said however, the general populace has a tendency to label anyone percieved different as a mutant. I'm sorry you had to experience that in your present condition."
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]

Messages In This Thread