Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter One: The Watch
”I watch the Sorcerer struggle with his decision. This one has often sought out the aid of the Herald in times of need, but could this one be a mistake? Could the innocence gained through the loss of his memories turn out to be dangerous in time? I will wait for my answer, for time is something the Watchers have in abundance.”

Reaching out, Dr. Strange took the Surfer’s hand and helped him back to his feet. The chrome-covered hero was correct in his assumption, there was something about the alien that frightened the Sorcerer. Stephen did not know to what lengths the world devourer had gone to keep Norrin from learning the truth, and until he could finish his research he was not going to tempt fate. But he couldn’t let the man continue to walk about completely ignorant of the things around him. To do so could cause even more problems. So as carefully as he could, Dr. Strange explained, “That Norrin, was a sort of feedback caused by the contact you made with Ms. Essex. You are well, aren’t you, Victoria?” Giving her a moment to reassure Norrin of her well being, Stephen continued, “You see Norrin, as the rest of your comrades have pointed out, there are mutants and meta-humans all around you. Each of your teammates is gifted in one way or another. Ms. Essex is one of the more unique of the group. For within her lies an entity of cosmic level significance. And I believe you have the ability to subconsciously sense such things. It just so happens that the entity that Ms. Essex holds watch over is feeling rather agitated at the moment, and that is why your reaction was so adverse. But, please do not be alarmed. I do not believe any irreparable damage has been done.

“Although I would rather not tempt fate where the Phoenix is concerned, so I believe the time has come for your departure.” Giving Paige a look that was equal parts amusement and annoyance, Stephen added, “And I do apologize for the lack of a film, however I doubt you will be disappointed in the scenery.” With that, Dr. Strange turned his back to the members of the Watch and began to cast what looked to be an extremely complex spell. His hands were contorted into very specific configurations, drawing the ambient mystical energies around him into a swirling white vortex. Not far away, Rintrah held his hands in the same formation as Strange’s, adding his own willpower to the spell for strength. The apprentice knew that his master did not need the assistance, but one could never be too sure, especially when faced with such variables as he was now.

Moments passed as the spell gained strength, and the eight heroes watched in wonderment. Soon the spell was complete and the mystical vortex that had been summoned opened to reveal a landscape that looked as though it had been plucked from a dream. Beyond the void was a winding path that seemed to be anchored to nothing in particular. It led out into a world that resembled nothing that resonated as familiar to any of them. It was more akin to a Salvador Dali painting than anything else. The Sorcerer turned from his work to face the group once more. “Your task awaits you. I shall leave you in the capable hands of Rintrah from here. He will lead you down the proper path.” Taking his cue, the large green Minotaur rose from the dusty lunar surface and levitated through the portal, pausing only long enough to allow the team to follow. Once each of them had worked up the courage to pass through the doorway, Dr. Strange allowed it to collapse into the nothingness from whence it came. The team now found themselves doing their best to keep their bearings in the quite surreal surroundings of the astral plane. Ahead of them, without a word, Rintrah led the way.

Messages In This Thread