Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Two: Black as Night
More than anything else at this precise moment, Mad McCoy wanted to snap the Spider-man in two, if for nothing else than the annoyance his interference was causing him. Not only was the hero keeping the grey-haired vampire from a perfectly delectable looking snack, but he was covering him in webbing to boot. Not that the stuff was all that effective against the impossibly strong beast, but it was incredibly annoying. But as badly as McCoy wanted to throw himself into an attack against the web slinger, he found himself almost paralyzed and unable to retaliate. It was that blasted crucifix that the scrawny hero was wearing around his neck. For the moment it was keeping Spider-man safe, and as much as McCoy’s educated mind hated the thought of being held at bay by a mere symbol, the supernatural limitations placed upon him prevented him from doing anything about it. Realizing that he would not be able to land a claw on the Spider, McCoy returned his attentions to Tessa and Wong, and the mystical barrier that the demonic predator knew wouldn’t hold for long.

Barry watched the swarm of bats looming over head as they quickly approached Paige and the others. They were being led by a particularly nasty looking fellow with metal wings and most likely, a very pronounced set of canine teeth. He made his way to Castle’s team of vampire hunters as quickly as his super speed would allow for, and warned them of what Blade’s team was facing in Westchester. But as he watched the bats approach, he realized that they had problems of their own. Victoria, perplexed by the feelings inside her, used her fear and rage against her enemy, lashing out with a telekinetic blast that scattered the bats and left them off balance for the fiery bolts that she sent their way next. As the demons converged on their prey below, Victoria gained enough control over the Phoenix force to incinerate two dozen of their number. But just as quickly as the fiery glow had emerged, it was now dying out again. And no amount of mental prodding on Victoria’s part was successful in rousing the troublesome entity again. Above them, the demon Archangel flapped his metallic wings menacingly, hovering in place as his horde, whose number was cut in half by Victoria’s initial onslaught, swarmed around them. Castle, Vance and Paige held their arms at the ready, but did not fire. The sight before them kept them from it. For as the fires of the Phoenix died away, the bats began to flutter around Victoria, seemingly, and inexplicably, enthralled with her. But it did not last as Archangel angrily called his minions to his side. They did as they were told, as they soon landed behind the angel of death, transforming themselves back into their human shapes. With his prosthetic wings folded around him like armor, Archangel took a step forward, glaring at Castle the whole time. “I have come for you, Castle. I have come to exact my revenge. For taking my beautiful wings from me, I will spill your blood this night. McCoy has already taken care of Wong and Ketch. The Master is dealing with Blade himself. But you . . . you are mine!” And with that declaration made, the man once known as Warren Worthington charged forward, razor sharp wings ready to do their worst.

In Westchester, Rogue made her move. As she rushed to put herself between her allies and Logan, Blade reached out for the impetuous girl, hoping to keep her from doing anything rash. But he was too late. The invisible barrier was up and he didn’t dare do anything to try to get through it for fear of what his actions might do to Rogue. It was her show now. But as she was worrying about Logan, his demonic disciples were worrying about Norrin and Blade. They clawed, scratched and bit at the shield that surrounded them, taxing Rogue’s conscious mind more and more with every strike. It didn't take long before the punishment they were inflicting on the shield caused the girl enough mental strain to force her to drop the barrier. Admiring her heroism, Logan took a few slow steps forward, “Your valor is admirable. But Blade will become mine tonight. And if you want to stand between us, then you will die as well.” With his intentions made clear, and ignoring the heat of the flames, Logan lunged forward, aiming his adamantium claws for the stone covered jugular of Rogue.

Back in the Village, the dark Beast turned toward Tessa with an evil glint in his eye. Behind her, Wong replied, “Against his kind of evil, I do not know how long it will hold.” The statement didn’t exactly fill her with hope, but Spider-man’s confidence did. In fact, the distraction caused by the vampire’s obvious disdain for the rosary around Spider-man's neck was all the opportunity the web slinger needed. As McCoy turned away from him, Spidey blasted a shot of webbing against the side of his head, latching onto the protective device inside. With a start, the villain whipped around, dislodging the earplug, ready to power through his repulsion of the religious symbol and kill the bug man where he stood. But when he turned he did not find Spider-man waiting to meet his blows. He faced another opponent altogether. Recovered from the fight outside, Ghost Rider was now standing directly behind the killer, intent on delivering vengeance. With a fierce determination, Ghost Rider swung his supernatural chain around McCoy’s neck and pulled the vampire forward, holding him firmly. The fiery glow surrounding Ghost Rider’s head intensified as the spirit of vengeance began to administer his penance stare, an ability that forced his opponent to relive the horror of every sin he ever committed through his victim’s eyes. Locked in a sort of mental prison, McCoy was soon incapacitated, no longer posing a threat to the group. With relief, Wong sighed and suggested, “Maybe we could finish that translation now?”

Messages In This Thread