Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Two: Black as Night
”I watch as the heroes the Sorcerer assembled fight valiantly to deliver this reality from the clutches of the purest of evils. They have proven themselves this night. I only hope that the rest will fair as well in the adventures to come. If you please Stephen, retrieve your defenders.”

Castle looked on as Hank flung himself skyward, heading for whatever was left of the Institute. Speaking to Barry, Paige and Vance, the Punisher said, “I think the big guy is right. We should see what kind of hell Logan left behind up at that school. Come on.” Castle had no hope of keeping up with Beast’s powerful leaps, but he made a good show of it. As did Vance and Paige, who conversed pleasantly as they walked at a slightly slower pace. The jovial tone would have usually sent Frank into a furious rage, but he knew they had won the night, and that a few friendly laughs were exactly what his city needed right now.
Never one to fall behind, Barry sped along, easily keeping Hank in sight as he made the short trip to Westchester. The speedster skidded to a halt moments before his teammate landed, and was forced to side step quickly in order to keep from being squashed beneath the descending powerhouse. Hank landed, sending a jolt through the earth, rousing Norrin from his unconscious state, instantly reverting his counterpart to his previous form before Rogue had the chance to question the mysterious alien further. Rogue, Norrin and Blade did their best to compose themselves as Hank and Barry arrived. Blade and Hank compared notes and quickly decided on the best coarse of action.

Soon enough, Castle, Vance and Paige arrived at the mansion and found the grounds deserted. There were definite signs of a battle in the nearby treeline, but the combatants were no where in sight. He quickly deduced that they must have moved into the structure, so he led his two companions along the same route. It took no time at all to find them, deep within the bowels of the X-Men’s long deserted home. But what they found as they rounded the corner surprised even the battle hardened Punisher. Blade, Beast and the others were busy freeing Logan’s captives from their shackles in the make shift dungeon that the vampire Lord had created from the defunct Danger Room. These poor people had been kept in the dungeon on the brink of life and death, used as a feeding source for Logan and his inner circle. But with the vampires vanquished, the dozen or more innocents were now free of the control that Logan had placed them under.

Back in Greenwich Village, Wong, Sage, Spider-man and the human again Dan Ketch walked the streets, shouting out to the terrified populace that the hold over them was finally broken. The people of New York were free to leave their homes once more. As they reached the end of the block, they exchanged smiles, happy with the night’s success. Just then, a shimmering portal opened, setting the Punishers instantly on edge, a reflex that would take some time to overcome. But as the large, green Minotaur creature emerged from the portal, a sense of calm came over them all. Rintrah was there to take Sage and Spider-man home. After a few minutes of goodbyes and heart felt thanks, Dr. Strange’s alien apprentice ushered the heroes into the white light. A similar light appeared in the hall of Xavier’s school, but it was not Rintrah that appeared. From this portal an alternate reality version of Wong stepped forth. The familiar looking man smiled and spoke, “Yo u did very well tonight. Master Strange is quite pleased. These people, along with the rest of this city, can now begin the road to recovery, free of the evil that has plagued them for so long. But that is a road that must be traveled on their own. It is time for the Watch to go home.”

But there was one last member of the Watch that had yet to be transported home. Victoria sat quietly, contemplating her life. But then beside her, unnoticed at first, a small white light began to appear. But no one came through this portal. Instead, a very familiar voice spoke from the other side, “Wade and Victoria sitting in a tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G...first came shock...with very little regard...I come with a gift from mighty Asgard.” Before she could turn, shocked by the voice she heard, an arm jutted through the portal and yanked her inside. There, decked out in the finest red and black kevlar money could buy, stood Deadpool, with Victoria’s long lost sword in hand. “I called in a few favors. I thought you might want this back.”

Messages In This Thread