Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the WORST comic you've read recently and why?
I would have to agree. Of all the books I regularly read, Captain Marvel is the one that interests me the least anymore.

My brother turned me on to this gem right after he read issue #1, and I took the bait. As a fan of the character from the Avengers Forever mini-series, and of Peter David's writing from his years on the Hulk and his numerous Star Trek novels, it was an easy sell. I bought up each and every issue and clamoured for more. The mix of high adventure and comedy was a delight.

But then the book switched focus. Marv's powers overwhelmed him and drove him to madness. In order to bolster languishing sales, the book did a complete one-eighty, but I stuck it out hoping for the best. I was happy that I did, because while it was no longer all that funny, it was still a compelling book. Little did I know though, it was the beginning of the end.

While the new direction started strong, it slowly fizzled. I felt like Peter David worked himself into a corner that he couldn't figure out how to get out of. One overly contrived story after another kept finding their way into my once favorite book, leaving me to wonder what happened. It has since had its ups and downs, with one issue entertaining me, while the next would leave me wanting.

Horribly inconsistant and lacking any kind of direction, I am sorry to say that I won't be sorry to see this book go. Thanks for another great read Peter, it was fun while it lasted.

Messages In This Thread