Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel: Ultimate Nightmare
Posted 16/07/2004
Source Newsarama

[Image: ULTNTM001_400col_t.jpg]Marvel has provided Newsarama with the first 14 pages of Ultimate Nightmare #1 by Warren Ellis and Trevor Hairsine.

Marvel’s solicitation for the 5 issue miniseries reads:
Part 1 (of 5)

Superstar Warren Ellis teams with hot newcomer Trevor Hairsine (ULTIMATE SIX) to tell a story of international intrigue that shakes every Ultimate book to its core! As world communications systems break down, the source of the anomaly is revealed as Tanguska, Russia. Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. leads a force comprised of Captain America, Black Widow and Sam Wilson to investigate, while, simultaneously, Charles Xavier of the X-Men dispatches his own team consisting of Jean Grey, Wolverine & Colossus. And what they discover there — and what happens next — defies belief!

In his Bad Signal mailing list, Ellis wrote of the miniseries:

I'm writing a five-issue mini for Marvel's Ultimate line entitled ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE.

Once again, I'm picking up the slack on something Millar was originally slated for but didn't have time to do. It's based on a story idea from Joe Quesada and illustrated by Trevor Hairsine. First issue's in August, I think.

The basic idea is that a Weird Unknown Event disrupts all world communications systems, and that the epicenter of the disruption appears to be in the remote Tunguska region of Siberia.

Exactly one hundred years ago (in the Ultimate Universe timeline -- I'm monkeying with actual history just a little) an object exploded over the Tungus River Valley. The Tunguska Event, as it's known, may have been an exploding meteorite, a comet strike, an anti-matter event -- nobody knows.

But this disruptive signal is emanating from Tunguska Event Ground Zero, exactly one hundred years later.

The Ultimates, the US superhuman defense initiative, send in a team to investigate and solve with extreme prejudice. Since they're without their Psi-Division of tame telepathic mutants,
they're unaware that the signal also extends into neuro-readable frequencies. The X-Men, believing that these are the telepathic wails of a traumatised mutant, send in a team, with no knowledge that the Ultimates are also en route.

And none of them know what's really at Tunguska Ground Zero.

People who like PLANETARY might get a kick out of this one.

Click here for the preview.

Messages In This Thread