Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandy Collora's World's Finest
Posted 24/07/2004
Source Superman-V.Com

An Interview with Sandy Collora Part I

[Image: lsokvsc2.jpg]A bit of a departure in this latest column, but when there's a chance to interview someone who's as big a Superman and comic book fan as Sandy then we at Superman-V jumped at the opportunity. Sandy is a true artistic talent. His work ranges from directing commercials (Got Milk!), to conceptual art (The Crow, Men in Black), creature design (Dogma) and short films (Archangel). He's also worked industry legend Stan Winston, who you'll all know is helping design the suit for McG's upcoming Superman movie. Unless you've been living under a rock this past year, then you'll have seen his most famous work, the amazing Batman: Dead End. No matter how good Chris Nolan's movie turns out, I'll always remember watching Dead End and it was the first time I had seen the real Batman on screen. His was a walking, living and breathing version of the character I'd grew up on. Read on to see what Sandy has to say about Superman, Batman, and something else that is going to be very special when we all see it this July.

Superman-V: Did you ever expect Batman: Dead End to have the impact it did? Over the period up to release, the anticipation and buzz online was huge. I can't even remember it reaching that level for Spider-Man.
Sandy Collora: No. I knew we had something that was very cool, that the fans would dig, but I never expected it to get THAT out of control, and I expected a lot. The film did exactly what I wanted it to do, on every level. It has transcended the internet and the fans, and garnered the attention of the masses and more importantly the studios, which has put me in a position to direct a feature film. I'm very humbled by it all actually... I really appreciate the fan's reaction to the movie, they're the ones who made it such a phenomenon. I'm amazed that now, almost a year later, the film still is going strong. Articles are still being written, interviews

S-V: Do you think Dead End has influenced Batman Begins in any way? Goyer has mentioned it in interviews.
SC: I don't know, that's hard to say. I think in some ways, it has... It was seen by so many people, and I know for a fact that it circulated around WB because I have a lot of friends who work there. I know it was used as a point of reference for certain things... Goyer and Nolan have seen it, so have all the execs on the Batman project. The bottom line is, I had a miniscule fraction of the 150 million dollar they have for that movie, and I think it made a statement in and of itself, not only because of what it is, but HOW it was done. Who knows, I just did what I felt was right, I made Batman the way I thought he should be, obviously Nolan and WB don't agree with that approach because they did a rubber suit again. I don't think it's fair to say my little film really influenced Batman Begins in a major way.

S-V: How much of a challenge is it to bring a comic book character to life on screen and make them real?
SC: You know, I don't think it's conceptually that hard, honestly. Just read the comics and stick to the source material, it's all there. Granted, it takes a certain degree of talent and know how to bring anything to life, true to your vision in a motion picture, but what I feel is voluminously more important for the comic book filmmaker to have is an intimate knowledge and love of the subject matter. I've always felt that heart makes a project what it is, and is more of a force in any creative endeavor.

S-V: What do you make of Batman Begins so far?
SC: Hard to say... I like most of the script. However, I have not been impressed with what I've seen of the costume at all. They just went with the sculpted rubber suit again. That's been done to death, I thought they'd really explore something different and cool, but I guess not. I think it's going to be more of the same of what we've already seen, nothing too groundbreaking or innovative. The suit looks very bulky, and the cowl actually has sculpted "cheekbones" added to it because Bale's jaw line is so narrow. It just looks FORCED to me... There's nothing natural, or organic about it. Bale's a tremendous actor, and I'm sure he'll be great, but the Batman suit just doesn't cut it for me. Time will tell.

S-V: Many argue that Frank Miller defined Batman with Dark Knight Returns. Which version of Superman defined the character for you?
SC: Live action - without question, Christopher Reeve in the first superman film. That's about as perfect as it's going to get. Art wise, Alex Ross for sure. He gets it. His work is breathtaking...

S-V: Do you think the new Superman movie should keep the 'Truth, Justice and The American Way' slogan? It's such an iconic phrase but can he really get away with it in this day and age?
SC: Yes, it most certainly should...

S-V: Have you seen much of Smallville? What are your thoughts on the show?
SC: I've seen quite a bit of it. I like it, it's well done and I like Tom Welling, but it got old quickly for me, I lost interest and stopped watching because you never see Superman or anyone in costume... It's all kind of a big tease. It's superhero LORE to me, not an actual superhero series.

S-V: What did you think of the aborted Superman Lives project? Did you feel Nicolas Cage was a good choice for Superman and Tim Burton for director?
SC: I LOVE Tim's work, and Nic Cage is brilliant, but neither one of them, I thought was appropriate respectively for the Man of Steel. I saw the prototype suit they made for Cage, it was all black and had a silver S on it. I think we would have wound up with Tim's interpretation of Supes, instead of the classic, more traditional hero we all know and love. Very similar to what he did with Batman, which I felt was not an accurate depiction of the character at all. I could see giving him Batman because he's a darker, more withdrawn character, like Tim himself, but Superman... Uh... No.

[Image: supesbats.jpg]S-V: Warner Bros. seem reluctant to hire a visionary filmmaker for Superman. Are there any directors you admire that you think would make a great Superman movie?
SC: Warner Brothers is reluctant to do a lot of things they should be doing. They're a great studio, with a rich history and a library of films and characters that is without equal. I absolutely LOVE the Harry Potter films, and I'm a big Matrix fan as well. They own DC Comics for Christ's sake -- They should be utilizing all the artistic talent and knowledge that a company like DC can bring to the table, and be making the most amazing, mind blowing, superhero films based on their incredible library of characters, but for some reason, one that I cannot figure out, the decisions they make regarding those characters and films seem inexorably incongruent to the source material that made those characters what they are. Maybe all that will change someday soon... Who knows. I've been working in Hollywood for over 15 years, and I can't even come close to understanding how or why things they way they are in this town. All I know is I love movies, and I love being a filmmaker. One thing you have to understand however... Though I, personally do not agree with the choice of director for this new movie, McG, like any other director, has his own vision and approach to the character just like a comic book artist would, and he should be entitled to that and respected for it. I may not like the way a certain artist like Mike Turner draws Superman, but LOVE the way Alex Ross draws him, It's all in what you like. It's really hard to say who'd make the perfect director for Superman, there's so many talented filmmakers out there. To me, personally, for what my opinion is worth, I'd like to see Steven Spielberg do Superman, it lends itself to his Norman Rockwell-esque, Americana, family values style of filmmaking; But then again, he's kind of evolved past that now, he's making more quirky, different kinds of films... I think WB should give 20 different directors a modest budget and ask them to do 5 minutes of a Superman movie, and see what everyone comes up with, then they could release them all on the web and let the fans decide... Talk about mayhem.

S-V: Stan Winston, someone you've worked with in the past, is onboard Superman to create the new costume. What do you think of that and is there any advice you'd give him?
SC: Stan is a tremendous talent. Any of the work that comes out of his studio is of the highest quality. That being said, in my opinion, he has no business whatsoever making a foam rubber suit for an actor to wear as Superman. NO ONE DOES!!! Cast the right actor, and he won't need a rubber muscle suit. Chris Reeve didn't need a sculpted suit... It just goes against the grain of everything the character is and represents. It's just a bad idea... Period. But then again, when I heard that they were going with that approach, I wasn't really surprised. I'm sure what Stan and his talented crew come up with will be an amazing work of art and impeccably done, but sadly, in my opinion, it will not be RIGHT. People in Hollywood these days seem to be more concerned with what they CAN do, instead of what they SHOULD do. Producers and directors are all way too enamoured with changing things that have already been established to make it "their own", instead of respecting the subject matter and staying true to the simplicity and ingenuity that made the character brilliant in the first place. They don't realize that the audience and the fans will respect them more and be much more receptive to the film if they do that... Look at what Sam Raimi has done with Spiderman, or what Guillermo did with Hellboy. People in this town have a tendency to let their egos get in the way of doing good work, especially regarding what has happened over the years with the Superman project. Superman is classic... timeless, an indelible icon that doesn't need to be updated, over-designed, or re-imagined for this generation or any other. Nuff said.

S-V: We hear you're working on something Superman related. Is this true?
SC: Someone's gotta' give the fans what they want...

That wraps up Part I of our interview with Sandy. Stay tuned, because very soon we'll have more info about Sandy's Superman project!!

LSOK

Messages In This Thread