Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumping Ship...
Well, I know we are replacing 1 of the X-books we had been getting with the new Marvel Team Up.
Honestly, I think Thor pretty much summed up my feelings on it as well. Last year, when I fell and broke my foot, I spent 6 weeks reading his stockpile of X-books from the 80s-90s. And after reading all that greatness, the books of late LACK majorly. I miss the sagas...The AOA, Onslaught, The Dark Phoenix saga. Hell, even The Twelve was solid for what it was. You just don't see writing like that anymore.
I read the entire X-Calibur run of the 90s last year and was like "woah.." when it was over. (Loved Dark Night of the Bamf, great story). Even weak characters like Douglok got my attention...because the writing was there to back it up. Can't say that about Beak or Sammy the fish boy.
Although other than X-calibur and the later end of X-Factor (the great story with Doc Samson towards the end of the run!), my favorite was probably Gen X. So much so that I made a point of hunting down the few back issues that J didn't have.
I think my whole arguement with the X-Books now adays is the same arguement Glenn has with the Chuck Austen run of the Avengers.
You can't change characters over night and expect people to still be able to relate with them. Especially when you grew up reading the books, and the characters just suddenly...Evolve, overnight.
Nope...it takes a good storywriter to pull that off...and it's not happening with the X-books lately.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]

Messages In This Thread