Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Three: The Salvation of Paradise
”I watch the goings on before me without so much as a glance in their direction. I do not look away from my appointed focal point, but yet I see their every move. Humans are all the same: forever pushing the limits, trying to find the edges of each other’s patience. Of coarse how they react to being pushed varies with each specimen. Some step back and watch as I do; others seek to resolve their differences; while the rest will almost always push back. It is human nature, and nothing even I could do would prevent the basest of human reactions. But with the bad comes the good, and I am sure that these heroes were chosen for the light of their being that most certainly outweighs the dark. I sense Stephen’s approach. He will set these adventurers upon their next task, and as always, I will watch”

As the heroes felt each other out on the surface of the moon, Dr. Stephen Strange was elsewhere, making preparations. But even in his Sanctum Sanctorum, far from the Watch’s location at the Blue Area of the Moon, he easily detected the powerful mental call of Victoria Essex. Knowing that his physical body was safe in his Manhattan home, he projected his astral form to the distressed woman, hoping to calm her fears. With an iridescent glow, he appeared to her as if he was levitating mere feet from her. For the time being, he concealed his form from the others, knowing that Victoria needed his undivided attention. “I am here, Victoria. Two weeks ago, when we first met here on the Moon, I placed a simple containment spell upon the Phoenix entity, hoping to ease the turmoil that threatened to consume you. However, I never intended the spell to shock the Phoenix in this way; only to quiet its voice while you became acclimated to your new surroundings.” Holding his hands in an arcane formation, Dr. Strange briefly peered into Victoria’s mind, curious as to the cause for the Phoenix’s odd behavior. He was only inside her mind for a moment, when the Phoenix lunged at him, obviously holding a grudge against the Sorcerer. Stephen retreated quickly, knowing that he, Victoria, the Watch nor Uatu himself could survive if the Phoenix truly lashed out. Doing his best to hide his concern, he once again spoke to Victoria, “I fear that the Phoenix harbors some animosity toward me. I am sure that in time, it will return to its normal unpleasant self. And when it does, I have no doubt that you will be ready to contain it. But until then, I will remain vigilant. The Phoenix force will not be allowed to sink its talons into you. Come now, let us get under way.”

Deciding to remain in his astral form for the task at hand, Dr. Strange turned to see the Watch gathered nearby. They seemed to be squabbling amongst themselves, something that didn’t surprise Stephen in the least. This group contained a few very distinct persons that would no doubt try the patience of the team. They would learn to work together eventually. The Sorcerer revealed himself as he approached the Watch, glowing brilliantly in the dim light of the Watcher’s chamber. “Thank you all for accepting my invitation. You have been recruited by my associates and gathered from a handful of realities in order to come together here as the Watch. Your presence will help to insure balance in the universe.” Sensing the Cloak’s need for external perceptions, Dr. Strange reached out as he spoke and collected the obsidian cloth around his form of pure energy. The Sorcerer paused briefly, giving the Cloak a moment to take in its surroundings. But knowing that the Cloak sustained itself on the energies of others, Dr. Strange removed the black shroud after only a few moments time had passed, fearing what may happen if the Cloak was left in contact with his astral form for very long.

After indulging the mystical being’s needs, Dr. Strange waved his hands meticulously, creating a shimmering white portal amongst the heroes. “The time has come for you to depart. On the other side of this doorway, you will find a world on the verge of paradise. It is a utopian society in the making, but it is a world that should never have been. It is a world that must cease to exist, and for that to happen a young girl by the name of Kya must survive to destroy it. It is your task to see her through the trials of the coming days, and deliver this world’s savior from those who would seek to destroy her.” And with that, Strange’s astral form dissipated as his portal expanded to envelop the Watch, sending them hurtling through time and space.

The next thing they knew, the Watch found themselves in the middle of a bustling village. There were no signs of technology anywhere. Most of the buildings had well-attended stables attached, each of them containing at least a few horses. The townsfolk, who seemed unable to see the heroes at first, wore clothes of simple design with no trappings of modern influence. The road beneath their feet was made of cobblestone and the surrounding buildings were simple in their structure. But there was something odd about them as well. They seemed almost otherworldly in their design. Dr. Strange had been ready for the this though, for as the heroes materialized in their new surroundings, his last spell took effect, transforming the clothes of the more extravagantly dressed among them into something better suited to their new environment. With the Watch physically prepared for the world around them, the cloaking spell fell away, allowing the native peoples to finally see the newcomers to their reality.

Messages In This Thread