Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Three: The Salvation of Paradise
-----------------------------Flash Back---------------------------------------

He ran, a sense of desperation and fear overwhelmed his young body, consuming him like and ominous storm, and pushing him to go faster. As soon as one of his sneaker clad feet hit the floor it was off again, propelling him forward, hastening his pace with each step. But it still wasn't fast enough. They were gaining.
He didn't look behind to see what little distance remained between them, for he knew it would only slow his motion and make his inevitable capture that much sooner. But he couldn't be caught yet. Not yet. Not without...
His grip around his brother's arm tightened as the thought of loosing him swelled. He had lost too many people for one life time. And now he was going to loose the one person who mattered most, the one person he truely loved.
The burning feeling within him returned, and he noticed from the corner of his eye that the violet arua around his free hand had returned, the same on that had caused his adoptive father's untimely demise, and now, seemingly his own.
He clenched his hand shut, ignoring the burning that still resided inside him and tugged at his brother's arm, urging him to keep the pace, and hurry with him, despite the fact that Alex was asking much more than what his brother's premature body could deliver. But he had no choice. If he was going to make it in time, if he was going to get to do one last thing, he would need all the time he could get.
He could hear the pounding of their feet drawing closer. They would be on them in a matter of seconds. But it was enough. He had made it. Feverishly Alex pounded in the six digit code. The security console obeyed his request, opening the door. The two brothers darted into the room just as the door sealed shut, seperating them from their persuers. With his clenched fist Logan smashed the doors control pannel, causing the barrier between them to lock shut. It would buy him only a few seconds.
"Alex, what's going on? What's happening? What happened to Mr. Wilson? Why are they chasing us? How did you...?"
His brother's questions streamed out of him uncontrollablely and tears began to swell in his eyes. Alex could see the panic in his eyes and he knew that his brother was slowly coming to grasp the situation at had, slowly coming to realize the fate that awaited his brother. And that terrified him.
"Thomas, listen to me. Thomas!" The demand grabbed the young one's attention, subdueing his emotional anxiety enough for him to focus on what his big brother was saying. Yet at the same time, it frightened him, for though Alex still spoke with the same love and care to him as he always had, such affections were consumed now by a serious tone that bordered on the same level of harshness his adoptive father had. But that's now what worried him the most, for he recognized what lay behind it, and it was something he had never heard from Alex before. He heard fear.
"Thomas! Listen! We don't have much time!"
As if to anunciate his point, the guards could be heard ramming into the door that protected them for the moment. They would be through in seconds.
"What's happening big brother? Why are they after you? Why are-?"
"Thomas!"
He was silenced agian, though the tears that now freely flowed down his face expressed what his words could not.
"Thomas. They're going to take me away. They're going to take me from you."
"No!"
The boy shrieked as what he feared to be true was now verbally confirmed. His mind demanded that he do something, something to stop this horrible fate, but he couldn't. He was only a child, his body young and not fully grown. He was powerless to save his big brother. And the overwhelming sense of helplessness pushed him to hysteria.
"They can't do this! They can't take you away from me! You promised we'd stay togehter! You promised!"
The tears were now cascading down the young boy's face, and Alex's own eyes threatened to do the same. But he couldn't cry. He had to be strong, strong for his brother.
"Tommy. Listen to me. You have to be strong alright? You're going to be on your own, with them, and I'm not going to be here to protect you. You have to be strong."
He retrieved the necklace from his pocket and placed it around his brother's neck. The little boy looked at the item, perplexed by it, yet at the same time, he knew that it only consummated his brother's fate.
"This is a photo, of me, when we were at the orphanage. I want you to carry it around with you always. Whenever you're sad or something bad happens, I want you to look at that picture and think of me. I want you to think of me and be strong."
With this Alex threw his arms around the brother he loved so dearly, grasping him in a tight embrace. It was now that he could no longer hold back the tears, no longer conceal his sorrow.
"I'll come back for you Thomas. I swear I'll come back for you."
For a pure moment, they were alone, locked in an embrace and displaying their love for each other, a love that was unmatched and unrivaled by any other. The love between brothers.
But the moment came to a crashing end. The door burst open, revealing the prize the men so eagerly sought. Like a swarm the suits rushed towards them, prying them away from each other. They held on desperately, in one last futile attempt to defy destiny. But it was to know avail, and the image of his younger brother Thomas slowly shrunk away, as he was carried off, screaming the name of whom he'd lost.

------------------------------End of Flash Back------------------------------

Logan's still body lay on top the cot he had been placed. It was one of the rare moments when his defenses were down, when he was unable to will forth his cold and arogant barrier that he had used for so many years to distance himself from others. Now, as his body lay there unconscience, his shields were down, and a sense of calm replaced them. Yet if one was to look closer, to take a moment and study the man, they would notice a change, subtle, but there. As if all the sorrow, pain, and lost he had experienced over the years came forth in that moment, revealing themselves to the world, and showing the heart of the man that he had been locked away for so long. Truely a rare site indeed, witnessed by only a few.
But time goes on, and the moment passed. Logan's body began to stir, as he slowly became awake to the world once again. His eyes gradually opened, adjusting to the light and surroundings from which he found himself in. His mind began to race, recalling the last events that took place and led to the situation he found himself in. And he noticed them, his teammates, standing over him, and it all clicked into place.
Like a flash of lighting the barriers were up once again, and the cold deamenor that his teammates had come to know and loathe once again claimed dominance. He swiftly rose from where he lay, eyeing them both with contempt and disgust, but his thughts were else where.
The speedster had struck him, and though he hated to admit it, such an action had taken him by surprise. He began to see the error he had made, the complacent flaw he had allowed to build within him. He had been accostumed to the fear he bestowed in people, been accostumed to their spineless cowardice when confronted with his anger. His name was known throughout his world, and those who opposed him, those who defied him soon realized it was their greatest mistake. It was this behavior, this manner of treatment that he had been used to and known since he was 18.
But he was not on his world. His name was not known, and the reputation that had taken him years to build did not carry over with. He was among strangers, unknowns, and they saw him in the same light, a stranger, an unknown. This world and its people had not been broken, and not bent to his will. His name carried no weight in this world, and like a fool he carried on like normal. It was a mistake, and he was lucky this truth was brought to his realization by a much weaker foe. Had it been someone stronger instead of the silver haired fool, he could have suffered more than a brief headache and a temporary lapse of conscienceness. Now, he would have to do what he had learned to do all the years, when they took him away, took him from Thomas. He would have to learn to adapt.
He thought briefly of his injury. The pain was quickly residing, thanks to his healing factor. Not that it was that big of a blow to begin with. He had certainly been dealt and survived a lot worse. But he didn't have time to ponder his past or old scars. He needed to find his 'teammates', put a quick end to this quest to find Kya, and get off this hell hole of a planet. But first, he needed to find and pay back a certain speedster by breaking both of his legs.

Messages In This Thread