Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Three: The Salvation of Paradise
The Sorcerer Supreme of Earth stood before his amassed army, locked in concentration, his whole being focused on finding the beings that would oppose his cause. At one time this sentinel's position was held by Dr. Stephen Strange. But those days of honor and respectability were long gone. The Eye of Agamotto and deep red cape, the crimson color of which may as well have now been a result of the innocent blood its current wielder had spilt in his time as the realm's Security Master, represented fear and ill gotten power for the man who wore the magical talismans clasped around his shoulders. The gathered soldiers and unwilling dungeon inhabitants watched as the trickster god known as Loki peered into seeming nothingness. But he was most certainly looking at something, and judging by the evil sneer that curled his lips, he was pleased. At once he gathered a few scattered items that sat perched upon a nearby table and sprinted for the stairs that ascended directly to his lord and master's personal chambers. He had finally uncovered the answers that his brother, the mighty Lord Thor, had sought for some time. The Separatists were as good as vanquished.

Not far away, in the secret caves far below Landsbystyv, the gathered heroes were, after a seeming eternity of preparation, ready to embark on what would hopefully be their greatest victory. Explaining that his current condition would not allow him to transport all of them at the same time, Dr. Strange began to create portals, ushering the Separatist forces through, a few dozen at a time. The forces were split between four groups. Thing, Vision and the Hulk were the first to go, taking most of the human fighters with them. Captain America was the next to depart, with a small contingent of human soldiers in tow, each of them looking almost eager to fight alongside the legend. Quicksilver and Warbird were the next to leave, although they went alone. Strange explained that he, Balder and Wolverine would join Captain America just as soon as everyone had been transported to safety. Porjyst and Zarrko the Seer would remain, seeing to the Separatist civilian’s safety. This only left the Watch still to be sent forth. Looking over the group Dr. Strange said, "Even though I no longer wear the trappings of Sorcerer Supreme, I am not without power. And it was that power that allowed the man you know, my other-dimensional counterpart, to find me and alert me to your presence here in this reality. We have been fighting against the Asgardians for some time now, but I believe your participation will be the wild card that will grant our cause victory. Kya's survival has been foretold as one of the key elements in bringing an end to Thor's reign." And then with a slight shift in demeanor, the mystic lowered his voice, looked over the heroes once more and then imparted one last thing, "Because I may not have the chance to tell you all this later, you must know that we are eternally grateful. For all of mankind, I thank you." And then, out of nowhere, one final portal appeared and the blind man who was once Sorcerer Supreme of Earth ushered the Watch through.

None of the team knew what they would find on the other side of Strange's shimmering magenta portal. Some thought they would be dumped into the middle of a raging battle already in progress. Others felt they may find themselves surrounded by the shimmering spires of Asgard herself. But what they found at the end of the mystical passageway was not what any of them expected. They stood alone, just the nine of them, in the bitter cold of the desert night. They were about to conclude that they had been sent to this place alone, until they noticed a set of very fresh tracks that began at their exact position and trailed off toward the horizon. There was only one man, other than Barry, that could have laid those tracks that fast. With the barren earth beneath their feet, they looked out over the bleak landscape toward the footprint’s vanishing point and spotted a structure on the horizon . Quick to act as always, Barry took off in a flash before any of the others could even begin to form of a plan of action, and was back alongside his teammates almost as fast. "The place looks pretty crappy, but there is an old sign still hanging onto one of the fences up ahead. It says Hulkbuster Base Gamma-Beta, Arizona USA. That mean anything to anybody?”

Messages In This Thread