Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel is Suing City of Heroes!
Yeah,now Marvel is turning into Todd McFarlane!

Bunch of pansies!

As an avid player of COH,I have some thoughts on this.......

First of all,
I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of copyrighted characters in COH,and yes most are Marvel,but not all. I have seen DC,WWE,former Presidents,Bands and even the Ambiguously Gay Duo(the wonder twins were my fave Big Grin )
Now making a character look like an established hero is not hard to do with the great hero creator the game has,but that is just a tool for the user to use,and not Cryptics fault.
They do have some very obvious problems though,mainly Wolverine.
You can make a character in the game that not only looks like Wolverine but also has the following......
Claws Primary Powerset-This power is totally messed up,it actually features animations of your guy flinging his arms down and releasing 3 claws from the top of each hand :roll: Then on top of that as a Scrapper he would also have acsess to the best secondary power set in the game,Regeneration! He can also be of "Mutant" origin(actual in game name).

You now have....
Origin-Mutant
Archetype-Scrapper
Primary Powerset-Claws(three popping claws from each hand)
Secondary Powerset-Regeneration(It is exactly like a fast healing factor)

Well,you haven't even gotten to the actual look yet and it already is Wolverine!

That is the biggest legal issue I see in all this,it does get WAY too close to a specific copyrighted character. And I think that a simple change to the animation would quickly solve that problem. Maybe cat-like claws,as that is more generic.

The other thing that I agree needs to be done is to implement a very good name filter for the hero creator.No more Super-Man,Superman1,Sue Perman,Souperman etc etc.

In all the time I've been playing this game I've never seen any enforcement of the "rules". Copycat guys are in every zone and at every level,but I'm sure it is hard to enforce 200,000 players,but I sure as heck bet that I will soon start seeing it be heavily enforced. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread