Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justice League Unlimited
Posted 19/08/04
Source Link ComicsContinuum

Fred Savage and Jason Hervey are brothers again this week. The two, who starred in the ABC coming-of-age series The Wonder Years, are paired again in Cartoon Network's Justice League Unlimited as Hawk and Dove. The episode, approriately titled "Hawk and Dove," premieres Saturday at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on Cartoon Network. Andrea Romano, voice director for Justice League Unlimited, explained how this unique casting took place.

"I had worked with Fred Savage for many years now," Romano told The Continuum. "I think he's just a terrific talent and a very good voiceover actor. And when we got the casting for this episode, the producers came to me, Bruce Timm, and said, 'Wouldn't it be fun to get Fred Savage and then have Jason Hervey to play his brother?' since they played brothers on The Wonder Years. Since I had a working relationship with Fred Savage, that was not a problem. That was really quite simple to call the agent and book him, and he's quite happy to do the work. Jason Hervey was a bit harder to track down. He doesn't live in Los Angeles anymore, somewhere out of state. We tracked him down and found his agent, who also happens to be his mother we came to find out, and broke it down and explained that it was a Justice League episode with two super-hero brothers, Hawk and Dove, and that we did have Fred Savage on board already. We asked if Jason would be willing to come into town and play the brother. After she spoke with him, she said he would be very enthusiastic to come in and play."

Romano, who prefers to voice record ensemble, was able to get Savage and Hervey in the studio at the same time for 'Hawk and Dove'. "It was such a joy to see them together. I don't know how long it had been since they had physical contact," Romano said. "It was quite a lovely story to see them together." The final voices weren't what you would expect. Savage provided the voice of Hawk, and Hervey did the voice of Dove. "When I initially cast it and I spoke to the producers on how we were going to cast it, our first thought was to have Fred Savage play Don/Dove, the calmer, more peace-loving character, and have Jason play Hank/Hawk, the more aggressive of the two," Romano said. "Simply because that was the way they existed in The Wonder Years series; Jason's character was always the more aggressive, obnoxious character and Fred was the more agreeable guy. Once we did the rehearsal, basically strictly on how their voices printed, it didn't sound quite right. So just for the heck of it, we said, 'You know what, let's rehearse again, switching characters.' So we did. And it worked much better that way."

Click on the link above if you want to see some images from the episode.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]

Messages In This Thread