Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite comic right now, and why?
I would have to say that my favorite comic as of right now would have to be AVENGERS. The characters are all so much cooler than they used to be, and I find myself glued to the pages eagerly awaiting my favorite heroe(s) next adventure. I'm slightly peeved about the death of JACK OF HEARTS, but I persevere and can't wait to see the kind of havoc wreaked upon the team by Brian Micheal Bendis Lol
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
SLVRSR4 Wrote:I would have to say that my favorite comic as of right now would have to be AVENGERS. The characters are all so much cooler than they used to be, and I find myself glued to the pages eagerly awaiting my favorite heroe(s) next adventure. I'm slightly peeved about the death of JACK OF HEARTS, but I persevere and can't wait to see the kind of havoc wreaked upon the team by Brian Micheal Bendis Lol

[spoiler]Well, Jack of Hearts does come back at the begining of the "Disassembled" story arc,but probably not the way you want.[/spoiler] Cry

My favorite title right now is by far,hands down,no competition.......Walking Dead! I have not been so engrossed by the characters in a comic in a long time. The book has a very Romero'esque feel to it. This is not the normal zombie dribble that has been out there lately. I litterally lay awake at night wondering what will become of the characters in the next issue. It's a great book,very very well writen,cool art,and an overall joy to read.
My favorite book right now is Daredevil. It has been so good for so long that I can't even believe it. When Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada revived the horned one, I thought that would be the pinnacle of Daredevil's greatness, and that no one would be able to trump what they had accomplished on the book.

But when Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev took over the book, they took it to a whole other level. They made it into street level story with incredible depth and amazingly gritty characters. They took Matt Murdock to the breaking point and threatened to leave him there. You know when your main character has slipped so far that an intervention by some of the biggest names in Marvel Comics is necessary, your hero is in real trouble. The book takes no prisoners and accepts the consequences of its actions. Everything that happens in Daredevil seems just that much more real than almost anything else in comics. I am enjoying alot of what I am reading these days, but Daredevil is far and away the best of the bunch for me.
I would have to say the Ultimate Fantastic Four. The story that is playing out so far is very interesting and different from any other Fantastic Four story I have ever heard.
Well, my favorite book was Sojourn, but it got cancelled.
Next in line would have to be great old normal Marvel continuinity Fantastic Four. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I think Everyone on the forums has heard my thoughts on Waid and Weiringo's run of the book. To quote Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force "AWESOME, FRICKIN AWESOME!"

Unthinkable sticks out in my mind simply because it was the first time EVER that my jaw actually dropped because of a book. And I do mean dropped open and the words "Oh my god" came out of my mouth.
Of recent, the Spider-Sense issues with Johnny and Spider-Man was very entertaining. Good old fashioned fun...I like that lot!
"I LOST MY PANTS!"
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
My NEW favorite at the moment is ULTIMATE X-MEN nearly hands down. Ultimate Spider-Man is a close second place with the whole Carnage storyline it is doing currently. But still, Carnage doesn't hold a flame to the way they introduced Sinister and a certain other person who will remain nameless at the moment. Those who read the book know what I'm talking about.
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
I absolutely have to agree. Ultimate X-Men has been really REALLY good for quite a while now. The "New Mutants" storyline was excellent. I loved the introduction of the Ultimate version of X-Factor. And the "Tempest" story arc is even better. The introduction of Ultimate Sinister had me truely worried, because the preview artwork left me wanting. But now that I've read the issues, I can honestly say that I've never seen Brandon Peterson draw anything better. This is easily his best work. And yes, the introduction of Ultimate "You-Know-Who" was creepy to the Nth degree. As loath as I am to admit it, this book is far better than its standard continuity X counterparts right now. In fact, it has been the better comic for quite some time.

But that still doesn't mean that I like the idea of the Ultimate Universe. Its just that this one book rocks so hard, you can't help but love it.
Current favorite at the moment has to be...oddly enough, Superman and Batman.

I say oddly enough because I don't really follow DC comics, but this one is just like....sweeeeet. If not for this book, it would have been Exiles, followed by Weapon X, followed by the last three issues of Robin.
The book I most look forward to each month is She-Hulk. I love the writing which is innovative yet rooted in continuity. The art is crisp and detailed and the people have facial expressions. I fear that the title won't last (becaue I like it, which is the kiss of death) so I savor each issue.

Number 2 is Conan.

Number 3 is Astonishing X-men.

These books are all doomed so get them while they last.
Freshmutt Wrote:The book I most look forward to each month is She-Hulk. I love the writing which is innovative yet rooted in continuity. The art is crisp and detailed and the people have facial expressions. I fear that the title won't last (becaue I like it, which is the kiss of death) so I savor each issue.

Man! I thought I was the only one reading(and enjoying) She-Hulk. Tongue
Ressurrecting a dead thread as I finally catch up on some of my comic reading...

Avengers. I don't like what is happening in the book but I'm mesmorized by the story and visuals. It is so cool to be excited about Avengers again.

Powers. What can I say about this also-Bendis-penned book that hasn't already been said? Still great.

Tabloia. A very small press book by Chris Wisnia that combined tabloid journalism with 1950s horror comic sensibilities. Pure fun, I love this one so much I've actually bought copies to give to friends. When's the last time any of you folks liked a book that much?

Not out yet but still psched: JLA by Kurt Busiek and Legion by Mark Waid, just the promise of how good these books could be has me drooling.

Glenn Walker
I am definately going to go with Astonishing X-Men. It is very well written aqnd the characters are portrayed very well. Not to mention the fact that the author and artist managed to keep something seret until the comic actually came out. I very close second would have to be She Hulk. It is a very funny and different side to the Big Green Chick.
I'm still sticking with Green Arrow...although I do have a new favorite that's eeking it's way up into my favorite's list...
Amazing Spider-Man. It's been a solid read since we picked it up so long ago!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Time passes, favorites change...

At the moment, I'm enjoying the heck out of Joe Casey's The Intimates, I still like and am a big fan of Tabloia, started to enjoy New Invaders just in time to see it cancelled and I'm just eating up Kurt Busiek's JLA.

For the future, I hear rumors that Neil Vokes is bringing back Eagle, and I am psyched!

If anyone is interested in the quirky twisted horror series Tabloia, check out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tabloia.com">http://www.tabloia.com</a><!-- m --> It's a good book by a great talent, Chris Wisnia, but it's got a small budget and I'd really hate to see it go away.

Glenn Walker
well, my personal favorite of the past year and a half has been Runaways... I just LOVE that title...
I also enjoy the New Thunderbolts, and there's a very pissed off limboed lady avenger who'll come back from wherever she's been in the last 8-10 years to kick some Genis-Vell booty!

and a title that surprisingly enough, I enjoy, is Young Avengers... the ultra-cheesy codenames and characters, their story discovered through the eyes of ever-pregnant Jessica Jones... it's great!

I don't know why, but my favorite titles all seem to use Limboed or forgotten D-list heroes and villains... I like it!
Ok, as much as I love Green Arrow, since Phil Hester and Andre Parks aren't doing the art anymore...it's fallen down on my list.

Now, my new favorite is my resurrected love, Medievil Lady Death!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Yep. Time passes, Favorites change.

1. Astonishing X-Men. - Without a doubt the best X-Men book in the bast decade, and quite possibly the best Marvel book on the market today.

2. Exiles. What can I say? Me love alternate realites and blue/green/purple/pink chicks.
I can't pimp out Runaways enough. It has been solid since Volume 1; Issue 1!
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
Time still passes, and favorites still change...

I am all over the new JSA by Paul Levitz and George Perez. Now if we can only get Levitz back on his other old stomping ground, Legion, it would be a perfect world...

Robert Kirkman's Marvel Team-Up is just one big fun roller coaster ride.

I'm also liking Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men. It's not only nice, but rare, when the Golden Age gets a respectful retelling.

Glenn
So true Glenn

Because I'm all over Cable/Deadpool. That's one big fun roller coaster ride as well. Of course, anything that involves Wade Wilson is going to have hillarity ensue.

After C/D, I'd have to say Daredevil has moved back up into my top slot again.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Far and away the best thing I've read in the past 6 months is Fables. I read 9 different collected editions, compiling over 50 issues and several one-shots in the span of three or four days. If you haven't read Fables, then you are just letting the best in life pass you by.
ANNIHILATION! simply the best cosmic storyline that I have ever read! (and I have a lot to compare it to!)
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
That is saying a lot, since you and I both are HUGE Infinity Gauntlet fans. I will have to get my hands on either the collected version of this story, or borrow it from a certain space faring Surfer that I know. I have been interested in this story line all along, but to hear you give it such high praise is very intriguing indeed.