Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
I think its high time this forum had a thread about the toughest man to ever come out of the Kitchen. I haven't heard alot of talk about Daredevil online these days, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Every month, Daredevil is one of my favorite books to read. Brian Michael Bendis has taken this book and made it his own. Together with Alex Maleev, he has created a gritty, film noir atmosphere, just dripping with realism.

If you aren't reading Daredevil, then you are doing the book, and yourself, a major disservice. This book reads as one gigantic story, that should probably never end. It has been crafted in such a way that makes me care for Matt Murdock, along with his friends and enemies, more than I do almost any other comic character. I would let BMB write Daredevil for the rest of his life if he wanted. It is that good. The current "King of Hell's Kitchen" story is three issues long now, and I am chomping at the bit to get more.

So, if you are looking for a good book to read this week, stop by your local comic shop, and give Daredevil a try. If you like dark stories, sort of like Batman without any of the flash, then you will love this! I couldn't recommend it more.
I to like Daredevil immensly and have noticed the more gritty grim quailites the book as taken on, but what I think I truely enjoy about the character is that it was a gradual build up to where he is now. He wasn't campy and goofy one issue and then Mr death and destruction the next. He's experienced a long line of well thought out and well executed trials and hardships over his life and with the newer run, you can really see it all come to a head and take it's toll.

There used to be a time when he'd just kick a man in the face and put him down that way, but now it seems he's almost to the point of becoming the Punisher without the guns. Castle is the type of guy you'd expect to beat a man within an inch of his life and then use that for intimidation, but I guess that's just part of the reason its so much more powerful coming from the man without fear.
I like Bendis on Powers and Alias, but I haven't read Daredevil since the post Miller 1980s with Typhoid Mary and Bullet. Is this really worth my two to three bucks a month? And how much backstory is there to catch up on? I don't want to buy a gazillion back issues.

Glenn Walker
I don't know if our taste in comics is similar or not, but I will tell you this. Daredevil is one of my 3 favorite books each and every month. I would absolutely say it is worth the 2 or 3 bucks.

As for the back issues...I would personally recommend you go back and buy each and every Brian Michael Bendis issue. But only because they are just that good. But I don't think you'd have to get them all to understand the story. Since each and every issue comes complete with a recap page at the beginning of the issue, it is pretty easy to get caught up. I would say start with the "King of Hell's Kitchen" story, and if you like that, go back and get more. You won't be sorry.

The Mighty Thor
I'd have to give Daredevil my reccomendation as well. It's one of the first books I picked up when I first began reading (started reading DD with the Kevin Smith run) and I haven't regretted ANY issues of it since them. The artwork took me a bit to get used to, but now, I couldn't see it as the same book without that cool gritty film noir style to it.
The book continues to amaze me every month. It's by far the "deepest" book on the market today. I like comics as a form of escapism, but comics that make me think and say "woah.." those are always the ones I remember and reccomend.
Thus...Go with ol' Horn Head, you'll be glad you did!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
You folks talked me into it. The next trip to the comics shop is next week. I'll give it a shot.

Glenn
The most current issues we have of DD have my jaw dropping and me going "Gasp!" Did I just read that correctly.
[spoiler] and the end of the last issue I have, I don't remember the number, but the one with Spider and Luke Cage...sweet! [/spoiler]
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Ahhh yes, my favorite book...Daredevil. The same book which hasn't even had Daredevil in it in countless months. That is the power of a good writer. When you can write an enthralling story and not even have your headlining hero in the book, and still have it kick much butt...that is a good writer right there.

Oh, and Glenn...did you ever pick up any current Daredevil issues? I was wondering what you think of the book?
I love Daredevil. It is consistenly one of my favourite titles and I love where Bendis is taking Matt. Not to mention that Maleev's art is amazing.
I agree. I don't think that book would be where it is today if not for Bendis and Maleev. They both seem to have an unnatural feel for the character. Maleev's art is the perfect gritty NOIR style that fits the character like a glove, and Bendis makes you care more for Matt Murdock than you do for Daredevil. You don't even care that he is only in costume once out of about every 4 issues.
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
I kind of like him better as Matt. That scene against the Yakuza just wouldn't have been as badass.
I haven't been too impressed with the big Q's art on DD recently. What's with the huge shoulders and barrel chest? honestly the guy would stand out as daredevil even in a suit and shades.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
DD: Father? Yeah, I didn't like the Daredevil look, but I like the way he drew Matt, maybe it was just colouring but it came off really vibrating to me. Haven't read beyond ish #1 though. Didn't find it terribly interesting.
We haven't picked up Daredevil: Father yet. Is it any good? Obviously Local has taken issue with the artwork, so that is a big strike against it in my book. But how is the story?

Personally, I can't imagine DD getting any better than Bendis and Maleev, so I figure 'Father' would simply dissapoint me. Can anybody sway me here?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/">http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/</a><!-- m -->
Down below, its better than me just summaryising it. Apperantly Daredevil #61 is up now too.
Who else has been reading Daredevil recently?

"The Widow" was a great story that took a closer, more intimate look at Matt Murdock and the relationship he has with the Black Widow. The story had a few nice cameos with excellent story telling by BM Bendis and Alex Maleev, as always.

Issue #65, DD's 40th Anniversary special, is a great colaboration between BM Bendis and a who's who of great comic artists, in which they retell Daredevil's story over the last year or two. If you ever entertained the idea of reading Daredevil, but didn't want to mess with the back issues, do yourself a favor and pick up #65. It is the perfect jumping on point for wanna be Daredevil devotees. And if you already read DD, it is nice in that it basically tells the same stories from the last year or two, but from the point of view of the other characters around him. A good solid read if there ever was one.
I agree on that one Thor. I've been enjoying DD all the while now and I loved the Widow arc. I also liked DD #65 but there was something that I found striking (as pinpointed to me by someone else), that it is quite well, akward that the last two years' main points can be so easily summarised in an issue, without missing anything important. I did like the different viewpoints though.
The last months of Daredevil have been nothing but sheer brilliance.

Matt's in prison, Foggy Nelson is dead (at the hands of prison inmates) and the world seemingly has gone nuts around them.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]