Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel: Meeting The Witches Team - Walsh and Deodato Speak
Posted 16/04/2004
Source Newsarama
by Chris Partin

[Image: witches_big_t.jpg]This June sees the release of the long awaited and fan anticipated Witches series. Originally slated to be released in October 2001, Marvel pulled the book from its original schedule, changed the writer (Bronwyn Carlton for Brian Walsh), changed the editor (Axel Alonso and John Miesegaes for Lysa Hawkins), but kept the artist (Mike Deodato, Jr. – who as then, just getting back into Marvel).

Mothballed for nearly two and a half years, the miniseries has gotten a fresh look, a fresh take, and a push to get going in June, the same month Deodato Jr. trades his art duties on The Incredible Hulk for The Amazing Spider-Man. The story takes three of the Marvel Universe’s female magic users, Satana (sister of Damien Hellstrom), Jennifer Kale (from Man-Thing and Howard the Duck), and Topaz (from Werewolf by Night and Dr. Strange). The three are gathered by Doctor Strange for a very important mission – think Charlie’s Angels but with magic and no ‘70s hair. Or a Charmed set in the Marvel U. Or Marvel’s angle to capture a little of the Wiccan market. Newsarama had a chance to talk to writer Brian Walsh and artist Mike Deodato, Jr. about working together on this series and what fans should be looking forward to this June.

Newsarama: To start things out, this title has been a long time coming. Mike, you have been on board since the title's inception. Is there any sort of weight lifted off of your shoulders knowing that this series is finally being released?
Mike Deodato, Jr: I'm very happy, if that’s what you're mean, can't wait to see it printed. This was a great project to draw. It invigorated me, and shifted me into doing some of the best work of my career. Great characters, great story.

NRAMA: There has been a sort of almost cult following for this series since the first time it was announced, and ever since interest seems to have grown. Is there any pressure on the two of you brought on by this growing fan base to create something that lives up to the expectation of these fans?
Brian Walsh: No, not really. I've been pretty insulated and focused during the process. I suppose I can enjoy the hype and momentum now.
MD: The book looks amazing, and reads amazing -- especially because of the fresh and new concepts and ideas Brian brought to the table, so I'm pretty sure the fans are gonna love it as much as I do.

NRAMA: We know that Mike has been on board for a while, Brian, how did you come on board Witches?
BW: Ever since my Tangled Web book last year, I've been working with John [Miesegaes] and Axel for a new project. They saw this story as a fit and brought me aboard.

NRAMA: Is there any added weight on you as a writer to come on board a series that has already lost one writer?
BW: No added pressure. I came to the table with an idea that John and Axel found resonance with. Fortunately, the editors responded well to the vision I had for the direction of the book.

NRAMA: What really convinced the two of you that this was a project that you wanted to be a part?
BW: The story was a perfect fit for me, allowing me to explore different ideas. I've worked with John and Axel before, so I was confident that they would offer me a large degree of creative freedom and support.
MD: In my case, it was pretty obvious -- magic, babes, more babes, and Doctor Strange! It's transformed as it's developed, getting better and better, so that's exciting from a creative point of view.

NRAMA: How has the creative chemistry between the two of you been through this series?
BW: Mike's great. His art far exceeds my imagination in terms of style. I don't know what he told you about me, but I’ve got no complaints whatsoever.
MD: My end of the development has been visual, of course. I made sure I wasn't drawing "stock characters" and poses anywhere in this book. Each female is an individual -- who looks, acts, moves, breathes, and thinks in a different way from the others. This is certainly not a case of an artist drawing identical bodies and faces and poses. One of the women is based on someone very dear to me...and that makes the book personal to me.

NRAMA: What is it like for you, Mike, to be working on so many projects right now for Marvel? Is it overwhelming, or something that you feel comfortable in doing?
MD: I'm not only comfortable, but also thankful for all the support Marvel has given to me. Their trust in my work has been decisive for me to keep growing as an artist.

NRAMA: In Marvel's solicitations for this series it's listed that the first two issues will be released in June. Is there an urgency to get this series out to the readers?
MD: It's been a common practice at Marvel this double shipping thing. I think it's a marketing strategy to launch it the same month I take over Spider-Man, while Spidey is huge in everyone's mind thanks to the new movie. How could I ever complain about Marvel wanting fans to give as much attention to me as possible? Bring it!

[Image: estranhp_t.jpg]NRAMA: How has Marvel been supporting the two of you on this series?
BW: A kind word here, a stern lecture there, the latter mostly from John. He's a stern taskmaster.
MD: Joe Q comes over to babysit while I finish pages, and Axel Alonso selflessly sends me packages of bread and water, even lets me out of the room without the shackles twice daily to stretch my legs. It's really good. Seriously, I just feel Marvel like my second home. I couldn't ask for more support.

NRAMA: What is it about this series that the two of you have enjoyed the most?
BW: I enjoyed the chance to write a book that is truly original. There are so many ways this book stands out from others that I am very excited to be a part of the team.
MD: For me, as an artist, like I said, it's just eye candy: Monsters, magic, mystery, action, beautiful women. I'm in heaven.

NRAMA: Now, let's get into the series itself. What is the concept behind the series? What's the driving force behind Jennifer Kale, Topaz and Satana teaming up?
BW: Dr. Strange put together this team as the only hope for the mystical world. There is a demon running around, devouring all magic it encounters. The demons presence on earth has eroded at the abilities of many powerful figures in the Marvel Universe. These three witches band together as the last hope to save Strange and his kind.

NRAMA: Is this series finite, or something that readers will be able to read for a long time to come?
BW: We took the story in a direction that leaves open many possibilities. The story and these characters can go in many different directions. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to do just that.

NRAMA: Any parting words to the readers?
BW: I hope you dig the book. As a feminist, I really enjoyed writing it. I love you all so very much.
MD: By the omnipotent Oshtur! By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth! In the name of the eternal Vishanti! Buy this book!

Other Images:
http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Witches/satana.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Witches/page01.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Witches/page02.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Witches/Lilith.gif