Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spawn: The Animated Series
Posted 13/05/2004
Source Comics Continuum

IDT Entertainment and Todd McFarlane Productions have announced a multi-faceted development, production and distribution agreement to produce animated programming and merchandise based on Spawn and other TMP original intellectual properties. The initial project is the return of Todd McFarlane's Spawn: The Animated Series. IDT Entertainment is an entertainment/animation company that includes animation and film production through DPS/Film Roman, Mainframe Entertainment, and DKP Effects, and video distribution through Anchor Bay Entertainment.

"This agreement is better than marvelous," said Jim Courter, IDT's CEO. "Worldwide, the demand for a new Spawn series continues to grow. The first series broke new creative ground for an animated series and was its generation's most popular comic franchise. With IDT Entertainment as the animation partner the new series will be even better."

[Image: spawnth.jpg]

McFarlane will oversee all aspects of development and production, as executive producer. Terence Fitzgerald, senior vice president of creative development of Todd McFarlane Productions, will serve as co-executive producer, and Sidney Clifton, senior vice president and head of programming and development for DPS Film Roman, will lead the creative development team on the IDT Entertainment side.

"Ever since the Spawn animated series left HBO in 1999, I have been asked -- almost daily -- when the show is going to return," McFarlane said Todd McFarlane. "I've been waiting for the right opportunity to not only bring the show back, but also do it with the intent of making it better creatively than its first incarnation. Teaming up with IDT Entertainment's DPS/Film Roman will allow us to take it to the next level of animation technology."

In addition to Spawn, McFarlane swill create two additional animated properties.
Conflicted.

On the one hand...I was a fan of the Spawn series when it was airing on HBO, and will even go so far as to say that it was indeed groundbreaking in quite a few ways....but on the same token I'm not sure I want to see it's revival.

Spawn is a great character with worlds of potential and all that jazz...but it's getting to the point when I'm just plain getting tired of seemingly every hero having something to do with Vampires or Demons or some sort of Evil. Granted, Spawn emerged before this seemed to be the case, and as such, I will respect whatever claims he makes to have such an angle. But as I said...a cartoon about a demon who fights for justice.... It just doesn't carry the same punch it did back when it originally made it's debut.

But then again...a part of me wants to support every stab the comics community makes at the mainstream. The new Batman Animated Series shows promise, and if Spawn's creative team can come up with a good strong season for this new cartoon, then maybe....just maybe....I'll have to get over my confliction.

</blabbering>
Just for kicks and giggles - my review of the HBO "Spawn" series from Comic Widows last year:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.comicwidows.com/killtv/index.php?link=0004">http://www.comicwidows.com/killtv/index.php?link=0004</a><!-- m -->

Glenn Walker
I was a fan of the Spawn HBO series, to the point where I think I have the whole thing stashed somewhere on video tapes...
I have to agree with Truth. I'm not sure a revival is a good thing.
It was a great show and I really enjoyed it. But if it's going to end, it's better that it ended on a good foot and with fans still talking about it, rather than to have a revival that could very well fall flat on it's face.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I was definetly a fan of the HBO series and I have all of them on DVD,and it's awesome.
But I too am growing tired of the "dark" themes in comics and movies...demons,vamps,zombies(except Romero)are all growing tired.But more then that I can't put any more money into Todds pocket after his treatment of Marvel.

I was born a Marvle Zombie
And I will Die a Marvel Zombie :evil: