Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen Titans
Spiderbob Wrote:There is NO WAY you can take him seriously. None. Slade, or any other respectable villian, would NEVER be caught DEAD looking like that or humilating themselves to such an extent. It's pathetic!! Blood's pathetic!
And then, his big plan at the end was to mentally control everybody and start an ultimate school of villians... If they're being controlled, and he has the power to controll such a large population, why the h. does he need to create a school?!? There's no point. Just take over the stupid city.

Perhaps you're simply comparing him to Slade to much. I mean, they are two different characters with two different objectives and two different motives. Slade was more or less, a evil Batman looking for his own evil Robin. Someone to take his place further down the line. Brother Blood isn't looking for a replacement. Nor does he want to take over/destroy the city like Slade does. Blood simply wants to make the supervillain of tomorrow.

It's kinda like comparing someone like The Penguin to The Joker. Both hate the Batman sure, but that's about where the similarities end. Cobblepot is a capitalist. He doesn't like to get his hands dirty, doesn't want to take over the world (merely the criminal one to some extent), and wants to draw Batman's attention as little as possible. Joker on the other hand loves to get his hands dirty, loves being in Batman's spotlight, and has no ambition to become the king of crime.

Don't get me wrong, as I say you can dislike him until the cows come home. I'm fine with that. I merely ask that you dislike him on the grounds that he's a tool....and not because he ain't Slade.Big Grin I mean after all.....who is?
Wow. The conversation sured did take a left turn somewhere. I was complaining about Blood and now we're talking about religion and cartoons. Well, when in Rome.
Again, I'm going to have to disagree. while I do believe that a cartoon show has no right or authority to preach religious morals or try and convert the masses that watch it, as I've stated before, I think that you can have good episodes that revolve around religion or faith. Again, the X-Men cartoon had the Nightcrawler episode which was faith orianted and was very good. The Justice League had a faith based episode with Grundy that was very touching. Just because religion is a touchy subject, doesn't mean it should be avoided. They teach good morals that can be displayed properly and well in our T.V. shows.
Also, and this is just me, but I HATE the age arguement. Just because a T.V. show is 'aimed' at a young audience does not mean the show has to stupidfy itself, dumb itself down to incrediblely low levels of intellegence. I do not believe Teen Titans, or the Justice League, or Spider-Man, or X-Men, or Batman, or Batman Beyond were aimed at 8 -10 year olds. While yes, content such as swearing and blood are toned down so it can be viewed by them, that doesn't automatically make them the only people watching the show. If they were, the shows would not have to work so hard at making their plots and characters true to those of the comics. Continuity and respect for the characters would not be as big as a priority if that were the 'aimed' age group. These guys are aiming at the fans of the heroes, fans of ALL ages, not just kids. They make the shows as true to the characters to appease the fans who have followed these ideals for many years. You can have a young audience and still use touchy subjects and have good and interesting stories without having to dumb the show down to a kindergarden level. Our superhero shows have proven this over and over again.
So, in short, just cause kids are watching, doesn't mean creators can't use religion or other subjects to write good stories. Young audience does NOT equal dumbing down the show.
Now, back to my original point, countering Truth's statement. The reason I compare Blood to Slade so much is becuase he's suppossed to be like him. Blood as modelled to be ANOTHER Slade for a different Titan. Blood was made to be the Slade for Cyborg, and he failed in filling those shoes. Slade got personal with Robin, Blood with Cyborg. Robing became Red X to spy on Slade. Cy became Stone to spy on Blood. Slade attacked Titans Tower with drones of robots. Blood did too. Slade used a Titan to set a trap for the rest of the team. Blood did too. Slade planned to take over the city with hordes of robots. Blood planned to mind control everyone and basically rule the city with mindless villains. See where I'm getting at? Only where Slade performed his tactics ingeniously, Blood acted like a complete idiot and humiliated himself on multiple levels. Even if he had not be meant to be another Slade, he's still a terrible villian and used poorly in the season. The way they portray him is pathetic, for reasons I've already stated before. So, again, Blood bad, season 3 let down, looking forward to season 4.
Spiderbob Wrote:The reason I compare Blood to Slade so much is becuase he's suppossed to be like him. Blood as modelled to be ANOTHER Slade for a different Titan. Blood was made to be the Slade for Cyborg, and he failed in filling those shoes. Slade got personal with Robin, Blood with Cyborg. Robing became Red X to spy on Slade. Cy became Stone to spy on Blood. Slade attacked Titans Tower with drones of robots. Blood did too. Slade used a Titan to set a trap for the rest of the team. Blood did too. Slade planned to take over the city with hordes of robots. Blood planned to mind control everyone and basically rule the city with mindless villains. See where I'm getting at? Only where Slade performed his tactics ingeniously, Blood acted like a complete idiot and humiliated himself on multiple levels. Even if he had not be meant to be another Slade, he's still a terrible villian and used poorly in the season.

See? There you go comparing him to Slade again.Smile I don't recall anyone ever saying that he was supposed to be ANOTHER Slade for a different Titan. Matter of fact, I honestly hadn't drawn that connection until you mentioned it. I've always seen him as another villain for another Titan, but never another Slade. Again, I can see where it is you're coming from and you're right, they are very similar in some regards, but like you I'm going to have to stick by my guns.

After all, Cy's come across Blood on what? Two occasions? And on already he's gained the victory. In comparing him with Slade, Robin had to go up against him nearly every week and never pulled out a victory. Foil his plans maybe...but never actually beat the man. I think Blood was simply meant to be another stand in villain in the same vein as Plasmus, Cinderblock, and Control Freak. One of those guys who shows up every once in a while to annoy you, but not some type of major threat you had to deal with an entire season.

Blood has cross paths with the Titans twice and has been on Cyborg's case both times. Control Freak has cross their paths twice and each time Beast Boy was a deciding factor. These character may have been implemented to become a specific Titan's arch-nemisis, but it doesn't mean that's his or her Slade. Look at Starfire and Blackfire. Nothing Slade-like there. I think the show is trying trying to create an appropriate counterpart to each Titan. So Rob gets his Slade, who's just as skilled, intelligent, and determined as he is....but you know. Evil. Beast Boy gets Control Freak, who watches just as much TV, is just as geeky as him, and who loves all the same shows. Star gets Blackfire who has all the same powers, but much different ambitions and morals. Raven so far seems to be without, though Mumbo Jumbo looks to be a contender of Trigon doesn't take his spot. And Cyborg gets Brother Blood.

And keep in mind we've only had limited exposure to him. The first couple of TT episodes made me believe Slade was overly cliche'd and much to "kiddy". He wasn't quite the badass I remember him to be. But the more I saw of him and the more he was explored, the more I understood until I finally came around. Oh. And on a little side note....I don't particularly care for Blood either, and I'm only defending him because you seem bent on comparing him to my boy Slade. Which I don't like so...Tongue

(J/K. I think Blood's an ok character...though someone like him Could have been pulled off a wee bit better.)