Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantastic Four-Reviews and Movie Info
Ok for those of you worried about the final Doom costume...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0411/19/doom.jpg">http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0411/19/doom.jpg</a><!-- m -->
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
Yeah, I saw that yesterday and was all 'oohhh ahhhh'

Glad they got it right!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
HELL YEAH!
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
Yeah, isn't it sweet? It's enough to send a pregnant woman into labor..... GOD DON'T I WISH!!!!

*sigh*
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I thought it was rather spiffy. It is interesting how they have handled the cape/big gold discs from the comic costume. let's hope the acting now matches the make up.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
The Fantastic Four movie site is now up and running.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fantasticfourmovie.com">www.fantasticfourmovie.com</a><!-- w -->

There's some pretty cool pics, videos and just general fun stuff on the site.

July 8th (US) mark your calendar!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
COUNTDOWN!

On my way to see it this weekend!!!!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
(Changed the topic of the thread, thought it was more appropriate now)

Having just got back from seeing Fantastic Four, I'm now ready to write my review of the movie.
I've waited some time for this film and I've read all the reviews of it that have flown across Cinescape and Ain't It Cool News and watched my hopes get dashed and a ball of fear curl up in the pit of my stomach.

Having seen the movie, I think Harry Knowles is a worthless movie reviewer. Every comic book film this idiot has reviewed I've actually enjoyed. Every movie he's slammed I've loved, and every movie he's "Adored" I've thought was a steaming pile of cow manure.

My ranking of the comic films are as follows, granted most people don't agree with me, but this is my own affinity for the films.

Batman Begins
Daredevil
X-men 2
Batman
Spiderman 2
Spiderman
X-men

Now, where do I rank FF on that list. Between Daredevil and X-2. I enjoyed the movie, I found myself caught up in the film. I have a love for the source material, as FF has been my favorite comic for a long time now. I was able to get past them mucking up Dr. Doom and enjoyed it. I enjoyed it for what is...a film about the Fantastic Four. A comic book film. It was never meant to be Speilberg Oscar Material.
Everyone's review of Jessica Alba as Sue Storm has been horrible. I guess I must have been seeing a different film than those guys. I thought she did a great job. Granted, I would have like to have seen a few more years age difference between her and Johnny.

I thought it was a great film, I enjoyed it. And even my loathing for the treatment of Doom was able to be quelled.

Although at the end of the movie, I didn't catch myself in time... As the movie is ending I sat there with a look on my face of puzzlement and said very loudly...
"Wait a damn minute....Latveria's landlocked!"
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I specifically got off work early friday night to go to an earlier showing than midnight. I loved the movie and I appreciated the appearance of a certain character. I was very happy overall.
I will be completely honest. I was dreading this movie. If Chanty hadn't wanted to see it so badly, I might have even skipped it in the theater. Basically, it comes down to the bad press it had been garnering for the last two or three months. No one seemed to have high hopes for Fantastic Four, and many had condemned it to death far before its release date.

I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life. I thoroughly enjoyed Fantastic Four. It was an excellently fun, summer popcorn flick. Did it hold up to the best its comic book counterpart has had to offer us over the years? No, it did not. But I certainly didn't allow that to keep me from enjoying the movie.

I was of coarse pleased with Michael Chiklis as The Thing. He captured the role well, just as I knew he would. Ioan Gruffudd did an admirable job as Mr. Fantastic. He took a difficult role and made the character approachable and even likable. That was something that I wasn’t sure Mr. Fantastic could be on the big screen. I was afraid he would just come off as a know-it-all egg head with no redeeming qualities. And the Human Torch was nothing short of amazing. Not only did they capture the look perfectly, expertly duplicating his comic book facade, but Chris Evans played him to the T. He may very well be one of the most perfectly adapted comic book characters in film history (except for the less-than-blonde hair) But of the four, I think I was most pleasantly surprised by Jessica Alba as Invisible Woman/Girl. This is not to say that I think she was great, but she was certainly better than any critic had given her credit for. Because let’s be honest, it isn’t Ms. Alba’s fault that she was cast as the big sister of a guy who, in reality, is only one and a half months younger than she. So yes, the big sister bit comes off a bit more as sibling rivalry than it does as wise older sister advice, but I believe she made the most of what she was given.

And while I will give Julian McMahon a positive review for his acting, Doom himself departs a bit too much from his four color roots for me to give the character the same thumbs up. Although if you read between the lines, you can see that they may be setting him up to hold truer to form in the sure to be made sequels. That was really my only major problem with the movie: other than the wretchedly useless addition of a heartless fiancee for Ben Grimm. Where did they come up with that gem of an idea? Did they think we wouldn’t understand the character’s plight without him being jilted by a superficial blonde b%$@h? Ahh well, her moments were brief and ultimately forgettable.

Was it as good as the summer’s other major comic book offering? Not even close, but I really did enjoy Fantastic Four. It ranks somewhere around Daredevil and the first Spider-man on my sliding scale of favorite comic flicks. And I gotta say that is far better company than I had expected them to be keeping.