Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read a good book lately?
Other than comic books, what was the last novel you picked up and read?

Mine was the Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George. This HUGE 1000+ page book was a nice read about the life of the Queen of the Nile. It was actually what they based the most recent version of her story as a movie (with Timothy Dalton and Billy Zane) off of. (I own the movie, thought it was crap personally.)

I'm thinking about pulling out the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley again. I've only read it about 3 times (another 1000+ pager).
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Currently I'm reading three different books:

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
To the Nines by Janet Evanovich

I always read more than one book at a time...It's a really bad book nerd habit of mine.
[albumsig]25[/albumsig]
Currently reading:

"Wild Animus" by Rich Shapero
"Love and Justice" by Rique Johnson
"Wireless" by Jack O'Connell
"Fitcher's Brides" by Gregory Frost
and
"Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson.

Glenn
I am mostly reading:

At Home: Bill Bryson - A history of nearly everything. It's a great wee book that goes over some of the major points in science in an easily understood and enjoyable manner.

At Work: Pamela Stephenson - Billy. The biography of Billy Connolly written by his wife. Great stuff. Poignant yet funny.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
Working my way through the Jeeves series by P. G. Wodehouse, again.

Just read "The Great Train Robbery" by Michael Crichton. Actually it was an audiobook, so I heard it.

The Complete Peanuts vol. 1 1950-1952. Or does that count as a comic book?

If anyone would like me to elaborate on why these books are so great, just ask.
I usually put myself in the middle of a few books at one time. Currently:

The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
Three weeks with Micah by Nicholas Sparks
The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
Daring to Dream by Nora Roberts
Well I'm a complete book nerd, and usually reading just one book at a time isn't enough for me. So At the moment I'm reading four ^_^

The Two Towers By J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban By J.K. Rowling
One for the Money By Janet Evanovich
The Notebook By Nicholas Sparks
[albumsig]24[/albumsig]
Actually, laugh at me...go ahead...

but I've got boxes upon boxes of books stored in my closets.... alot of pagan books which sometimes tend to drone on and on... and the rest... well...

Romance novels...

(runs and hides)

Anyway, I got almost completely to the end of Cleopatra and have laid it down. I don't know if I'll finish it now but it's not interesting me at the moment, so I'm digging through my stockpile trying to find a book to read.
I may have to pull out the Mists of Avalon again.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Right now, I'm reading Rhapsody, by Elizabeth Hayden. A great book so far. I can't wait to get done with it and read the sequels.
Chanty, I won't laugh at you as long as you don't laugh at me. I just finished reading "The Untold tales of Spiderman" Novel. (It is a series of short stories featuring everyone's favorite wallcrawler.) Ask Thor, it's similar to the Ultimate Silver Surfer book that I have (also a good read.) Untold tales had some very good stories that took place at various points and times in between continuity of the comic. There were some stories that weren't the greatest, but overall the book was a good read. "The Stalking of John Doe" was amongst my favorites. I can read things other than comic book related material, however. For my next book I'll probably read "Walk this Way" (Biography of Aerosmith) or "Monty Python Speaks" which pretty much explains itself.
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
If you are a comic book fan (and if you are reading this I would say the likelyhood of that is high,) I would give my highest possible recommendation to Michael Chabon's wonderful novel, "The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay."

This book is a fictionalization of the Golden Age of comic books. What Chabon has done in his book is taken every important event to happen to comics in the 30's and 40's and condensed them down into the lives of two would-be comic book colaborators. Chabon is the amazing wordsmith behind "The Wonderboys" and one of the screenwriters of Spider-man 2. He is as close to a ComicBook historian as you will ever find, and knows this subject matter inside and out. The world he invents in "The Adventures of Cavalier and Clay" is nothing short of amazing and will delight you beyond anything you could hope for. I can not recommend this book enough. Please, go out and pick up a copy. As a ComicBook fan you will not be disappointed.
If you like stupid trivia try reading:

Einstein's Refrigerator and other stories from the flip side of history.

It is an interesting and quite comical read.
Currently I'm not reading anything...as everytime I try to start something or other happens that just completely throws me off, causing me to start all over. And I can only start a book so many times before I have to just walk away for a while.

What I would have been reading right now....

Dragons of Summer Flame - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Beyond Good and Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche

Maybe it's the fact that these two books are at opposite ends of the spectrum that's throwing me off.

Hmmm.....
The Mighty Thor Wrote:If you are a comic book fan (and if you are reading this I would say the likelyhood of that is high,) I would give my highest possible recommendation to Michael Chabon's wonderful novel, "The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay."

I'm going to have to disagree with you, TMT. I read "Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics" in one sitting and was never bored. But I had to force myself to keep reading "Cavalier and Clay". I only got about half way before I just gave up. There is too little about comics and too much about peeing in coffins and descriptions of naked fathers.

"Marvel" on the other hand is all about comics and it's all true.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a book. I have not read "Marvel", but it sounds as though it would be an interesting read, and would probably be very informative about the comic books themselves.

Cavalier and Clay on the other hand is about the characters first, and how they help to forge the business we know today and how comics impact their lives. True, the lives depicted in this book are fictional, but the situations the charcaters find themselves in are anything but. What Chabon did was to weave many true life bits of history into the characters that he created. It is a shame that you couldn't bring yourself to finish the book, because it only gets better right up until the last page. But thats just my opinion. If it didn't do anything for you, thats cool. Although I hope some of our other members will give it a chance, because I think it is a very worthwhile read.
Enchantress Wrote:Other than comic books,

While I understand some of you guys eat, sleep, dream, live, work, breath comic books, the entire purpose of this thread seems to have been tossed by the wayside. While I do understand there are some great comic novels out there... I do believe in the original starting post... (read the quote above)...
Do some you guys not read anything that doesn't revolve around comics? :roll:

Neitzche...Truth? really? Gads! I thought reading "Pooh and the Philosophers" was a deep read!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
What can I say? My cousin still has my "Thus spoke Zarathustra: A Book for All and None", and has yet to let me borrow his "Art of War" (which I bought for him, the limey bastard...) So what else is there for me to read? Plato? Tolstoy? Hemingway? Robbins?

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)
"Plato was a bore."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
- Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)
"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
"Hemingway was a jerk."
- Harold Robbins

Big Grin

But another book I have taken intrest in is indeed The Art of War, but until I can convice my cousin to letr me borrow his, I shall sadly be without. Also...I hear Kierkegaard is rather good.
You should pick up "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenence." It's an interesting read.
Or dig out your copy of the Anarchist Cookbook. Because I know you have one somewhere!!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Here's an interesting tidbit.

Rique Johnson, who wrote "Love and Justice," which I was reading a few months back and listed here, contacted me to say thanks and to tell me about his new book.

He did a search and found his name here, then emailed me. And he complimented this site as well. I figured I'd post him a plug here too:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://streborbooks.com/justice.html">http://streborbooks.com/justice.html</a><!-- m -->

He's a helluva writer and a good guy too. I actually spoke to him briefly at a book signing last year. I heartily recommend "Love and Justice." Check it out.

Glenn Walker
This is my first posting so go easy on me.

Mytholgy by Edith Hamilton

Do androids dream of electric sheep by PHILIP K. DICK

my all time fav (reread it for 2 time) starship troppers by Robert A. Heinlein
Well welcome to the boards!!!!!

Ok, I started reading sappy romance novels again, something to take my mind off everything and you know...."suspension of belief." Cause lets face it...you have to suspend all belief just to be able to read the things!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Currently reading:

"Double Whammy" by Carl Hiaassen

and

"It's Always Something" by Gilda Radner.

Glenn Walker
I am currently in the middle of Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchey
I am currently re-reading The Phantom of the Opera..again...for the umpteenth time now.

Call me a softy...I like Classics.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Currently on my bedside table:

"The Shy Writer" by Hope Clark
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theshywriter.com">http://www.theshywriter.com</a><!-- m -->

"Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining" by Judy Sheindlin with Josh Getlin
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.judgejudy.com">http://www.judgejudy.com</a><!-- m -->

Glenn