Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel: Kirkman Teams-Up
Posted 30/07/04
Source Newsarama
by Ryan McLelland

[Image: MVL_TEAM-UP01_t.jpg]One of Marvel’s big announcements during the San Diego Comic Con was the relaunch of the classic series Marvel Team-Up, written by Robert Kirkman with art by Scot Kolins. While the original series featured Spider-Man teaming up with someone else for all one hundred and fifty issues, expect some difference with the new Marvel Team-Up right from the gate.

“Spider-Man will be making an appearance in the first two issues, and often after that, but it's not going to be "Spider-Man and..." every month,” said writer Robert Kirkman. “I like to think of it like a one stop shop for the Marvel Universe. I'll also be using it as a platform to use characters that Marvel might not think are strong enough to carry their own book, but are still cool enough to pop in from time to time. I'll be using damn near everyone in the Marvel U by the end of issue #25.

”Scot Kolins and I are trying lots of new things here,” Kirkman continued. “Scot and I are spring boarding on most of this stuff, and his input is invaluable. Between him, [editor] Tom Brevoort and I we're coming up with lots of cool stuff to do here. I'm trying to create some new villains with this series, so keep your eyes peeled with that. I don't think Marvel's had a good reoccurring villain come on the scene since the early eighties. I really want to put some more toys in the sandbox, new villains, new characters... I'm giving this book my all. Also, nothing is going to be contrived.

“We're doing big arcs, using large corners of the Marvel U, so each arc is going to seem like a massive Marvel event. I'm also going to be having subplots and layers upon layers of side stories going on in the book. So readers can buy issue 1 and follow along from month to month and get a rich, detailed tapestry of Marvel goodness month after month. I don't want people skipping issues when Speedball shows up. No matter who is in any given issue, if you've liked the book so far... you'll enjoy every issue. There's going to be a lot of stuff going on. Needless to say, I'm having a blast.”

So who can readers expect to appear in the comic and will it ever feature Sleepwalker, the character Kirkman resurrected for Epic only to have one single issue launch? “I'd love to use Sleepwalker eventually,” Kirkman said. “But I'm going to have to wait until the book finds its legs. People will have to love this book before I'll be able to get away with using him. That said, the characters lined up for the first batch of issues on no particular order are: Spider-Man, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, Hulk, Iron Man, X-23, Captain America, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Punisher, Blade, Damage Control, Hawkeye. I'll leave some surprises for later.”

While Spider-Man might not be around for each and every issue, readers can still expect the webhead to swing on by often, “Spidey will be in this book a lot and I'm sure we'll eventually see some of his villains. I love writing Spider-Man, so I'll be using him as much as they'll let me, within reason.”

When asked about how long he’ll be on the series Kirkman replies, “I think as time goes on readers will find that I'm one of those writers that latches on and holds onto a book for dear life. I'll be on Team-Up for as long as they let me.”

Marvel Team-Up #1 and #2 are scheduled to ship in November. The series will be monthly thereafter.

More Images:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/MTU002_color.jpg">http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/MTU002_color.jpg</a><!-- m -->
Ok, anyone who has read my posts in the past knows that I am not a big fan of Scot Kolins artwork. The guy's page designs are nice, but the overall renderings leave me wanting. His style seems to consist of nothing but single line pencil work with no variance in line weight, or heavy black shadows. Its like he leaves all of the shadow work to his colorist. His art looks good on the surface, but once I really take a good look I can see all the little things about it that I don't like.

With that being said, I must say that this new Marvel Team-Up book sounds VERY intriguing. I like the idea of being able to sit down with one book every month and get a nice overview story consisting of the entire Marvel Universe. Its like being able to check in on all the characters who's books I can't afford to buy each month, or even characters who don't have their own book. It sounds like a splendid idea to me. So, even with Scot Kolins on pencils, I will give serious thought to picking this book up come November.
I am keen to see how this comes together.. and this following little teaser can only help

Posted 03/08/2004
Source Newsarama

Marvel has provided Newsarama with the pencils for the first five pages of Marvel Team-Up #1 by Robert Kirkman and Scot Kolins.

Kirkman told Newsarama about the series last week, saying: ““Spider-Man will be making an appearance in the first two issues, and often after that, but it's not going to be ‘Spider-Man and...’ every month. I like to think of it like a one stop shop for the Marvel Universe. I'll also be using it as a platform to use characters that Marvel might not think are strong enough to carry their own book, but are still cool enough to pop in from time to time. I'll be using damn near everyone in the Marvel U by the end of issue #25.”

Making for a debut issue that’ll be hard for many to resist, the first storyline teams Spider-Man and Wolverine.

Click on the thumbnails for larger images.

][Image: MARVTU001001_400_t.jpg] [Image: MARVTU001002_400_t.jpg] [Image: MARVTU001003_400_t.jpg] [Image: MARVTU001004_400_t.jpg] [Image: MARVTU001005_400_t.jpg]
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
Did I mention that Scot Kolins' pencil work does nothing for me? Yeah, ok...I thought I had. This preview is a prime example. His layouts are nice and his detail work is superb, but the static single weight lines make my head hurt. There is no weight, depth or shadow in anything he draws. If any of you like his style, thats cool with me, but I just can't get behind it.

I hope the story can carry my interest, because I don't think the artwork will.

TMT
There is no doubting he has an eye for the job and often tries interesting layouts but I do agree with J, he needs a really good inker and colorist to make his work acceptable.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
As far as Scott Kolins' artwork goes, I would put this in his subpar Avengers class rather than his vastly superior Earth's Mightiest Heroes miniseries.

The writing has been another disappointment to me. I loooved Robert Kirkman's Brit but none of that magic seems to be shining through here.

Shame...

Glenn Walker