Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lady Death on DVD
Yes, this is one kiddie who's been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Lady Death movie next week. It's been years in the making and WOOHOOO! Finally!

From Comics Continuum:
[Image: dvdth.jpg]

The Continuum has obtained a first look at Lady Death: The Motion Picture, the DVD which arrives in stores on Tuesday, Oct. 5 from ADV Films.

Producer/director Andy Orjuela spent more than four years bringing Brian Pulido's character to animation. "I think she is the ultimate anti-heroine and in some ways defines what we all sometimes wish for: the drive to achieve our goal no matter the cost," he said.

Here's how ADV describes the film's story:

"Lady Death begins in 15th Century Sweden, where Hope, the beautiful daughter of Matthias, a skilled mercenary who is in actuality Lucifer, is accused of being the devil's consort. Sentenced by the town priest to be burned at the stake, Hope is visited by the malevolent Pagan. Unable to think clearly, she accepts Lucifer's offer of life in Hell over a hideous death ... only to discover that there are far worse fates than dying. Lucifer's plan to corrupt a soul of pure innocence meets unanticipated resistance, as Hope rejects Lucifer's scheme and eventually finds herself transformed into the powerful warrior Lady Death, who challenges the Lord of Lies for control of Hell itself."

The voice cast includes Christine Auten as Lady Death/Hope, Mike Kleinhenz as Lucifer/Matthias, Andy McAvin as Pagan, Rob Mungle as Creator, Mike MacRae as Asmodeus, Chris Patton as Niccolo, Dwight Clark as Father Orbec and Maureen McCullough as Marion.

Erik Ko and UDON provided work on backgrounds.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Ok, after many years of waiting for this movie to come out, I bought it yesterday and sat around like an anxious little kid and watched it.
The animation was great...reminded me a bit of "Heavy Metal" at moments...the story was exactly what it should have been.
My only complaint was I wish we could have seen more of her fighting. You got a couple of fight scenes and that's about it.
And I really didn't like the girl doing Lady Death's voice at all. She had a whiny Sailor Moon sound to her that just didn't sound right for the Guardian of the Endless Graveyard.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I have to put you to task, Enchantress.

After just watching ...this thing, I hated it. Granted, I have no prior knowledge of the character whatsoever, other than that she exists and is popular. Be objective, would you have liked it as much had you known nothing of the story and character going in?

Glenn
Absolutely not Glenn!

Personally, I liked it little more than for nothing of that it was Lady Death. As I said before, I thought the person doing Lady Death's voice had it entirely too whiney...the animation was a bit too "heavy metal meets Anime" to me.

But, I gotta get my Lady Death fixes when they come around. I think the story could have been better... I mean, I waited HOW many years for this thing to come out and there's absolutely NO mention of Evil Ernie?

I'm a huge fan of Brian Pulido...and I've met the man and gotten hugged by him...but I think this fell flat.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Glad I'm not the only one. I'm in the same boat as Glenn in so far as I know absolutely nothing about the character other than she exists, is extremely popular, and is white from head to toe. I watched it just last week and I too was like "What the fuzzy? This is what legions of die hard fans as so loyal towards?"

In and of itself I think the concept is good, though in today's market Hell's almost as over exposed as Wolverine, but the execution of such concept just left me thinking.....well...see above. I think that if I had been introduced to it in comic form that I could have looked at it the same way I do other comic adaptations, as being it's own little alternate universe. But with this being my first foray into the realm I found myself more interested in how they were going to get her naked than the actual story.

Needless to say I was even more disenchanted when said nudity never came. Sad
And see, they didn't even explain THAT good!

I mean, one minute she's sweet innocent Hope..

Next minute she's wearing a bikini and a broadsword!

Honestly though, the movie pales...(no pun intended, really) in comparison with the books. Lady Death a Medievil tale is an awesome read I'd reccommend to everyone... but the movie didn't really do her justice. I liked it, but I've watched it once and shelved it.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]