Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batman Begins: Your thoughts/feelings/reactions
So. It's Wednesday the 15th of June 2005 and the opening day for the new movie Batman Begins. This movie acts as a landmarker for the franchise in the movie industry, possessing the power to redeemed the Dark Knight's tarnished name, or grabbing a shovel and burying an even deeper hole for it to be buried in with its shame and disgrace. So much rides on this movie for the Batman, so many hopes, fears, dreams, terrors, wants, and dreads formulated during the movies production. And now, its opening day. The film has been released into the public, and it is the public who decides the fate of this film, and possibly the franchise.
So, I ask you, members and leaders of comicsuncovered, after seeing this film, what is your judgement on the Dark Knight's latest film:
Batman Begins.
DarkKnight, Thor and Myself are all taking a "Ferris" on Friday and going to see the movie.
I'll form my opinion afterwards of course.

But I do want to use this as a reminder to everyone to make sure you use SPOILER Tags when posting anything newsworthy. Just in case there are people who haven't seen it yet.

(Ferris=Ferris Bueller's Day off.)
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Personally, I loved it. It deviated from the orginal origin just enough to keep me interested, but at the same time stayed close enough to the character to keep me impressed.

The Costume

I can't complain one bit about the costume or gadgets in this film. True, they wen't with an all black motiff again instead of blending two colors asthey do in the comics, but on the big screen, it works. During a section of the film you practially see him put the costume together peice by peice, based on nessesity, which I love. And nearly every part of the costume is explaining in-film as to what it does, how it works, and why he needs it.

The Story

As I said earlier, it deviated a bit from the traditional Batman origin that we all know and love, but I feel it did so in a good way. Beyond the tweaks made to Bruce's past before Batman, Batman himself stayed more or less the same, which is great. His detective skills were downplayed a little but being a "Year One" film I didn't particularly mind, and the pacing was swift enough to keep the story moving from one point to the next, without sacrificing detail or backstory in the rush.

The Villains

As many of us know by now, not one but Two Batman villains were portrayed within this film. I sure most of us know which two, but for the sake of those who've stayed away from spoilers, internet rumors, and basic chit chat on the street, I'll refrain from mentioning them by name. Suffice it to say that I feel the casting choices for each were spot on (after seeing them in action. Previously I had doubts.), and the portrayals, while a little bit off, were close enough to bring forth the spirit of each character on the theater screen. I've heard some complain about the costume for one said villain, but being a "Year One" type film, I don't see why that character needed to be in full costume at all.

The Batmobile

Sigh..... Ok. We all know that I simply did not like the Batmobile when it was first revealed. I might have even gone so far as to say that I hated it (can't remember), but I will say this. Seeing the movie did not change my opinion. Now now now don't get me wrong! It's fine and dandy and fits perfectly into the world setting and context that this story takes place in. It works. It looks remarkably good in action. However, I simply perfer a sleeker Batmobile with my Batman. Personal preferance. With an Unbaised opinion, it's a good Batmobile. Functional, believable, and even pretty to look at as it's racing down the street. The Truth however would have liked something a little more like a sports car and less like a tank.

The Overall

In this fan's opinion, Batman Begins scores a solid 8.5 out of ten. To the average movie goer it will most likely score less, and to the die-hard fan it will most certainly score less (to many deviations from the comics), but to me, as an "average" fan it was right on target. Good story, great cast, excellent acting, terrific pacing. The only place it losing points really is in the cinematography. When comparing it to the Tim Burton films, the fight scenes while adequate, aren't shown as clearly as they were in other films, and Batman and Bruce Waynee from time to time (albeit very rarely) strayed to far from character even for me.

Despite those little nit-picks however, I strongly reccomend that any comic fan go out and see this moive. If for no other reason than to catch your first glimpse at the new DC Comics movie scroll. Watch out Marvel. Dc's taking it's film properties seriously now and have the pre-movie scroll to prove it. Smile
I have every reason to nitpick the bat franchise to death...but I won't.

Thor and I just seen the movie today and I believe it is by far the BEST Batman movie EVER. (Yes, Even better than Jack the Joker). It was just a well rounded story (minus the future missus Cruise). You got Bruce Wayne the Billionaire playboy, Bruce Wayne the serious businessman, and Batman. No stupid gags, a few good jokes... (Drunken Billionaire burns down family home), that sort of thing.

I gave it two thumbs up and a "WOOOHOOO".

Best. Movie. Ever.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I though the flick was beautifully done. I don't know how likely it is, but I wish the creative team that made it would do a non-prequel bat movie. I know that before "Batman Begins" the movies got worse and worse in quality, but I felt that they got better and better in character selection. I really enjoyed seeing Chris O'Donell as Robin and Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl even though the script writing was corny beyond belief. I would like to see the "Begins" team take a stab at the dark night's two junior partners.
My review for the movie, which, by the way, if you haven't seen it yet, GO FRICKING SEE IT!!!!'

Batman Begins

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense action violence, disturbing images and some thematic elements.

Genres: Action/Adventure and Crime/Gangster

Running Time: 2 hrs 14 min

Release Date: June 15, 2005

Distributor: Warner Bros.

Starring:
Christian Bale Michael Caine
Liam Neeson Katie Holmes
Gary Oldman Cillian Murphy
Tom Wilkinson Ken Watanabe
Morgan Freeman Rutger Hauer
Sara Stewart Linus Roache
Gus Lewis Larry Holden
Rade Serbedzija Lucy Russell
Colin McFarlane Emma Lockhart
Richard Brake David Murray (II)

Director: Christopher Nolan
Producer: Emma Thomas
Charles Roven
Larry J. Franco
Screenwriter: David S. Goyer
Christopher Nolan
Executive Producer: Michael Uslan
Benjamin Melniker
Source Writer: Bob Kane

Plot: Christopher Nolan's film explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham. In the wake of his parents' murder, disillusioned industrial heir Bruce Wayne(Christian Bale) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. He treturns to Gotham and unveils his alter-ego: Batman, a masked crusader who uses his strength, intellect and an array of high tech deceptions to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.

Special Effects/Visual: 10/10
The visuals are awesome. What's great about the visuals is that the movie doesn't rely on special effects like Star Wars does, whose entire film was virtually computer animated. Gotham City is beautifully made, and the film takes you through its rotting decaying land and people.
The fight scenes are great as well. They aren't slowmo and wires like the Matrix. This Batman gets down and dirty in his fights. It's an actual street brawl, not some Hollywood eye candy. The fights can be fast and hard to see at times, but that just adds to greatness of it. "Bullet Time" fights were not needy in this film, and the grudge matches it shows actually suit it a lot better.
Scarecrow's fear gas is another awesome trait of the film. It was unexpectedly mastered and a thrill to see. While it probably won't scare you like a good horror film will, it's still a freaky site. You'll have to see the movie to grasp the beauty of the experience.
And of course, Batman looks awesome as well. The costume and equipment are awesome, and all of them are actually creatable should someone so desire. I also about peed my pants when I saw Batman's vanishing act on screen. Truely awesome.

Sound: 10/10
Once again, awesome. This Batman uses the fear that his comic counterpart has employed for so long. You get to view how the criminals see him, what they feel as Batman hunts them down. Yet when he's after them, you don't see him. You HEAR him. It's almost like a horror movie. You hear the whoosh of a cape, the clang of his boots, but you don't see him until it's too late. Truely awesome.

Musical Score: 8/10
It isn't the best musical score out there and pales in comparison to other movies, such as Lord of the Rings. However, where as LOTR required a masterpiece in music to capture it's greatness, Batman does not. The score fits the film perfectly as it's moods. You may not find it as enjoyable to listen to should you buy the CD, but during the movie, it fits the mood.

Acting: 10/10
Truely awesome! (gotta find a different adjective) The acting is one of the best things about the film. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, played their part to perfection. The heart and soul of the actors and actresses was truely poured into this film. I could go on and on about each individual, but I don't have the time or will. But I will dabble on one person...
Christian Bale. The man IS Batman. Everything that makes the Dark Knight great, Bale nailed to perfection. He gave the legend flesh and blood, and portrayed him better than any before him. Simply put, the man is the incarnation of the Dark Knight, and it was greatly appreciated to see Batman finally portrayed with the seriousness and respect he deserves.

Dialouge: 10/10
Once again, it was awesome. The dialouge of every character adds to the development of our hero and the people around him. Plus, it all connects. Small phrases mentioned early on reapper later in the film, connecting beginning, middle, and end to a brilliant plot. The film grabs your attention, making you think as you try to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Story: 10/10
Once again, awesome. There are so many plots and sub plots in this movie yet all of them reach their full potential and each one develops in the movie. It's surprising how much they were able to fit into two hours. Any other film would have been over cramped and fail to develop each plot, yet Batman Begins does it perfectly. It also has one of the best superhero plots I've seen on film, and as stated earlier, really makes you think until all is revealed at the end of the film in an explosive climax. The film also has a surprise ending that was a real treat to see, but I won't spoil it for you.

Overall
The Good:
- The Actors
- Fear used by Batman
- Character development and dialouge
- Story
- Costume and equipment
- Ah, hell, THE WHOLE DAMN MOVIE!!!

The Bad:
- Um...well...uh, let me see...um...there was...no...um...give me a second, this is kinda hard...um, can you come back to me on that one?

The Confused:
- Not so much confused as I want to know when we get a sequel, cause it can't come soon enough!!

Overall Rating: 58/60 - 9.6 - A
Truely one of the best superhero movies of all time, if not THE best, and this is coming from a guy who reads Spider-Man like my life depends on it. Words can not describe the greatness of this film, and you owe it to yourself to witness Batman being done as he should have been almost two decades ago. Thank you God. Thank you.
This is probably one of the best comic book films that will ever be made. It is rare for a production, working on a film that could easily be dismissed as being made for children, to take thier work so seriously. Every bit of this movie seemed real and tangible to me.

Gotham City has never been featured in a more realistic way. From the buildings to the citizens that skulked between them, the atmosphere just dripped from the screen. And I can't say enough about Batman himself. Christian Bale chewed every single scene to pieces with fangs fit for the bat. He was downright scary at times: something that Batman has never really been in live action before.
If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself and everyone you know a favor. Take off work tomorrow and drag as many friends along with you as you can to see Batman Begins. This movie will make fans out of everyone who sees it...that is my guarantee.
It was definitely a great movie with really only two things that annoyed me.

- The 'Batman is a mask' thing.
- And they royally screwed up the Wayne's death scene.