Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.I.P The Big Red Cheese: Winick Talks “The Trials of Shaza
Shazam! No, louder ... SHAZAM! That's the magic word for Judd Winick, who aims to please Captain Marvel fans with the upcoming "Trials of Shazam" limited series and spoke to CBR about just that.

Read more...

Source: CBR Articles
Articles from the comic book site you HAVE to visit!
I really truly can't express my disappointment and outrage at Judd Winick and DC on this matter.

Basically the plan is to remove everything that made the Captain Marvel mythos special and unique - to gut the nexus that made the characters what they are and turn it into something completely different.

And now of course, even Shazam's death in Day of Vengeance is meaningless, after all the Rock of Eternity has re-formed and the Spectre still exists. I have to wonder why they bothered.

I suppose it's just another step in driving the older fans away from their regular series and to only buying their Archives and Showcases.

Hell, I would have preferred Roy Thomas' Captain Thunder over this.

Glenn
I am a bit mystified by their justification of this and more than a bit perturbed that not only are they going to change the defining features of yet another character but they are also going to reinterpret the many mythological characters around which he is based to suit themselves. I think by taking this stance, DC are doing their readers (particularly younger readers) a great disservice as fora lot of people it is their first introduction to ancient mythology. I don't know about the rest of you but I would have to admit that it was first reading about the likes of Thor/Hercules/Zeus as protrayed in comics (both DC & Marvel) that sparked in me an interest in learning more about the real mythology. And that in turn added to my enjoyment of the comic characters when i realised some of the writers had taken the time to incorporate those real legends into their comic mythos.

Now please excuse me, i am off to have a Shatner Moment...

DCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!! DCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!! DCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]