Poll: What do you think of the all encompassing crossovers that seem to occur on a monthly basis?
If i see another infinite crisis on infinite earths with infantile plotting I think i may explode
Another fine product from the House of Bad Ideas
Quesaddo/Bendy/Didiot [Delete As Applicable] are Gods!!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 2006: In Crisis for Infinity? Been Disassembled?
The big two companies seem to think that having company wide crossovers which will 'change everything we know about the characters' are what we the consumer wants. While I am the first to admit I am a bit of a sucker for a well plotted epic storyline, most of the recent efforts have been a bit lacking. What do you think?
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
Multi-title spanning storylines can easily annoy me. Different books entertain different people, and somebody who's into the spritely action and youth-driven angst of Teen Titans shouldn't be forced to buy the galacticly complicated adult-drama of Justice League if s/he doesn't want to.

One thing that seriously annoys me even more than such crossovers, is unnecessary character death. If a character has outlived his/her usefullness and has no fans, then character death is understandable. But when you have a character like Superboy who has some complex friendships, developing romantic storyline, and great story potential (not to mention a strong fanbase), you are asking for and upset readership. And it's beginning to look like everytime such a crossover happens, character death or some equally frustrating plot point occurs.
In the past, I've loved crossovers, although I'll be the first to admit that House of M wasn't anything like what it COULD have been.
DC wise, I've never been a fan of crossover books. The one year later stuff has been ok. But if you don't read EVERYTHING DC puts out, then you're lost.

I'm sooo digging Civil War right now I could bleed from the ears! But on the same note, I'm scared to death of what they are trying to do.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I tend to pick and choose my crossoevers based on focus, rather than potential after effects. I was more interested in the shape of the Marvel U after House of M, but skipped it because the focus of the story itself didn't appeal to me. Conversely, I didn't really care what shape the DCU was going to be in after IC, but picked it up (along with a tie in or two) because the story itself sounded fun.

With Civil War I'm finding both to be applicable. The very concept of CW is leaving me waiting with bated breath and I must admit that I'm quite curious as to the shape of things in the wake of of this event. I've already been spoiled as to a few of the repercussions and the general outline of a few things, but I still can't wait to see how the Marvel U is going to look in the wake of the resolution of this conflict....especially since it should just be geting back on its feet when the Hulk returns.

I see it as we the fans getting Civil War from House of M, and Villians United/Secret Six from Infinite Crisis. And that's A-Ok with me. So I'll abstain from the vote right now. Yeah, Quesada and Didio can both muck up some perfectly good ideas, but when they get one right...they really get it right.