Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WonderCon Shines With Stellar Line-Up Of Guests
<p><i>Official Press Release </i></p>
<p>SAN FRANCISCO – <a href="http://www.comic-con.org/index.php" target="_blank">WonderCon</a>, California's second largest gathering for fans and professionals of comic books, movies, television and all things pop-culture, announced Nick Cardy and Gene Colan as additional guests to their already stellar lineup. </p>
<p> WonderCon takes place at the Moscone Center South in San Francisco on Friday, March 2, through Sunday, March 4, 2007, and features programming, games, and a masquerade contest in addition to an exhibit hall featuring the top names in comic book publishing. </p>
<p>Celebrating its 21 st year, WonderCon has not only features special panels and programs on all aspects of comics as well as special presentations from major movie studios but has also expanded the already giant exhibit hall in direct response to overcrowding issues at the 2006 event. </p>
<p>WonderCon also announced that pre-registration is available at select Bay Area stores as well as online at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.comic-con.org">www.comic-con.org</a><!-- w --> </p>
<p>While programming is still in the works, these guests have already confirmed for the three-day event:         </p>
<p><b>Nick Cardy </b></p>
<p>        A fan-favorite artist of the Golden and Silver Age, Nick Cardy's career started with work for Will Eisner and Quality Comics. He also worked on the <i>Tarzan </i> newspaper strip before moving over to DC (National) in the late 40s, where he worked on titles such as <i>Mr. District Attorney </i>, <i>Daniel Boone </i> and <i>House of Mystery </i>. During the super hero boom in the 60s, Nick did memorable art on <i>Teen Titans </i>, <i>Aquaman </i>and the seminal Western hero, <i>Bat Lash </i>. In the 70s, Cardy was DC's go-to artist, illustrating hundreds of covers for the company. </p>
<p>        <b></b></p>
<p><b>Gene Colan </b></p>
<p>        Gene Colan started his career at Marvel's precursor, Timely Comics. From the 60s into the 80s, Colan was one of the top artists at Marvel, penciling titles such as <i>Iron Man </i>, <i>Daredevil </i>, <i>Doctor Strange </i>, <i>Sub-Mariner </i> and <i>Howard the Duck. </i> His moody, shadowy and evocative pencils were perfect for titles like <i>Tomb of Dracula </i>, and some of his best work is on that title. In the 80s, he moved over to DC and penciled titles such as <i>Batman, </i><i>Wonder Woman </i> and <i>Night Force </i>. </p>
<p><b>Sergio Aragonés </b></p>
<p>        A longtime fixture at WonderCon, Sergio Aragonés will be bringing the 25th anniversary of <i>Groo </i> with him in 2007! Sergio is the world's fastest cartoonist, and among his claims to fame are destroying both the DC and Marvel Universes and a long career in the pages of <i>Mad </i> magazine. </p>
<p>       </p>
<p><b>Mark Evanier </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>Mark Evanier is recognized as an expert in the fields of comics, animation, and pop culture. His popular blog, newsfromme.com, attracts thousands of readers each day. Evanier has written numerous comics, TV shows, and cartoons throughout his career and is partially responsible for the 25th anniversary of Groo, along with creator Sergio Aragonés. </p>
<p>        </p>
<p> <b>Al Feldstein </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>One of the guiding forces behind EC Comics (along with publisher William M. Gaines), Al Feldstein served as editor, writer, and artist and brought to life one of the most vivid and highly-regarded comics lines of all time. When the line folded in the mid-1950s, Feldstein went on to replace Harvey Kurtzman as editor of <i>Mad </i> magazine, a post he held for almost 30 years. Upon retirement, Feldstein returned to his first love, painting, and is a renowned painter working from his ranch in Wyoming. </p>
<p><b>Tony Harris </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>Best known for his work on <i>Starman </i> for DC Comics, Tony Harris is currently drawing <i>Ex Machina </i> for WildStorm. His intricate Art Deco-influenced style melds with photorealism to create a new look for this very different series, featuring the super-powered mayor of New York City in a post-9/11 world. </p>
<p><b>Pia Guerra </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>The co-creator of <i>Y: The Last Man, </i> along with fellow WonderCon special guest Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra produces evocative pencils and characterizations of Yorick Brown, Agent 355, and Dr. Mann that add a rich visual texture to the storytelling. Guerra is a first-time guest at WonderCon. </p>
<p><b>Phil Jimenez </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>He saw us through this year's <i>Infinite Crisis </i> and in doing so elevated himself to be one of the most popular artists working in mainstream comics. Phil Jimenez's work also includes art on <i>New X-Men </i> for Marvel and <i>The Invisibles </i> for Vertigo (both written by Grant Morrison) and writing and drawing <i>Wonder Woman </i> for DC. </p>
<p><b>Jeph Loeb </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>With best-selling runs on books like <i>Batman </i> (the memorable “Hush” storyline with Jim Lee) and <i>Superman/Batman, </i> Jeph Loeb has moved over to Marvel, where he'll team with fellow WonderCon special guest Michael Turner on <i>Ultimate Wolverine </i> and also write <i>The Ultimates 3 </i> series. His television work includes <i>Smallville, Lost </i> and he is currently the co-executive producer on the new NBC series, <i>Heroes. </i></p>
<p><i></i></p>
<p><b>Patrick McDonnell </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>One of America's most popular comic strip artists comes to WonderCon for the first time! Patrick McDonnell entertains us daily with the cartoon adventures of <i>Mutts, </i> featuring Earl, Mooch, and the whole gang. McDonnell is also a comics enthusiast and historian, and his work includes a major book on George Herriman's classic strip, <i>Krazy Kat. </i></p>
<p><i></i></p>
<p><b>Linda Medley </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>Linda Medley's award-winning <i>Castle Waiting </i> series was on haitus for a while, but it made a major comeback in 2006. Fantagraphics sold out its initial print run of the hardcover book that collects all the stories to date, and jump-started a new continuing series. Medley's ongoing story and art have entranced readers since the series started over 10 years ago. Medley also worked in mainstream comics, penciling titles like <i>Doom Patrol </i>, <i>Wonder Woman, </i> and <i>Justice League, </i>and she was one of the leading colorists in the medium before making <i>Castle Waiting </i> her full-time priority. </p>
<p><b>Michael Turner </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>Michael Turner's work includes his own creations, <i>Fathom </i> and <i>Soulfire </i> for his own company, Aspen, and also some of the most recognizable—and best-selling—covers for DC and Marvel. For DC, he's provided cover art for <i>Identity Crisis </i>and <i>Supergirl, </i>while for Marvel he's done variant covers for <i>Civil War. </i> He's about to embark on a six-issue Wolverine miniseries with popular writer Jeph Loeb. </p>
<p><b>Brian K. Vaughan </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>One of the best writers currently working in comics, Brian K. Vaughan creates works that are always thoughtful, timely, and thought provoking. He currently writes <i>Y: The Last Man </i> for Vertigo, <i>Ex Machina </i> for WildStorm, and a new <i>Dr. Strange </i> miniseries for Marvel. His most recent graphic novel is <i>Pride of Baghdad, </i> focusing on a pride of lions released from the Baghdad Zoo during a bombing raid of the Iraq war. </p>
<p><b>Judd Winick </b></p>
<p><b>        </b>His resume reads like a who's who of great comics characters: <i>Batman. Green Arrow. The Outsiders. Green Lantern. Trials of Shazam. Barry Ween, Boy Genius. </i> Judd Winick is also the mastermind behind the popular Cartoon Network series, <i>The Life and Times of Juniper Lee. </i></p>

Read more...

Source: CBR Articles
Articles from the comic book site you HAVE to visit!