Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avengers: Disassembled
Posted 30/06/2004
Source Newsarama

[Image: cover.jpg]Marvel has provided Newsarama with the first 23 pages of Avengers #500, part one of the "Avengers Disassembled" arc by Brian Bendis and David Finch. In case you've been living under a rock for the past few months, Marvel's solicitation text for the first issue reads:

The powerhouse team of Brian Michael Bendis and David Finch take on Earth's Mightiest Heroes in this double-sized anniversary issue! It begins with the return of an Avenger thought dead--and by the time it's over, everything you know about the Avengers will have changed!

AN EVENT THAT WILL ROCK THE ENTIRETY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE -- AND IT ALL STARTS HERE, TRUE BELIEVER!

Avengers #500 runs 48 pages.

Click here for the preview. and then click on each image to proceed to the next page.
I have to say I enjoyed it. I didn't like what happened all that much but I liked it.

I review each issue as it comes out so as I read I invariably stop and take notes then return to reading. I didn't do that with Avengers #500. I read straight through. I was rapt, I was mesmerized.

I dread the events of Disassembled but I relish reading each issue.

Glenn Walker
I'm a little behind, I know....I just finished reading issue#501 and well....I don't know, I'm kinda on the fence with this whole "Dis-assembled" thing anyway.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
a little behind? *snigger*

but seriously I am way way behind heh.. picking up trades sucks sometimes..
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
Oh stop it! you know I get my books mail order to don't even.

Unless that was a comment about my arse, and if that's the case, I never once said it was little!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I stand by my above statement. I don't like what's happening but I'm having a ball reading it. I like Bendis a lot, but didn't think he would be a good fit for Avengers, and honestly I still remain unconvinced, but this stuff is good. Issue 502 was a bit of a letdown but hopefully it will be one hell of a rabbit Bendis whips out of his arse with #503. We'll see.

Glenn Walker
I agree that issue #502 was a bit of a letdown. The major death contained in this book was accidentally spoiled for me months ago, so that held no weight for me any longer. And the Kree invasion seemed anticlimatic at best. Other than being big and scarey for a few pages, and killing off one of my favorite Avengers, they didn't seem to be there for much.

Of coarse, everything that has happened up to this point in the Disassembled storyline has pretty well built up to whatever the cameo character from the last page of #502 has to say in issue #503. Like Glenn, I hope it is worth the hell that the Avengers have been through in the last three issues. Because if I find myself questioning the validity of it in the least, I will be one sore Avengers fan.
I didn't bother to pick this up, even though I did get the FF tie in. But I read FF anyway, but with the stuff I've been hearing, especially about #503, I don't think you guys will be happy campers. Neither am I by the way, since it really just plain makes the whole arc useless as it is.
well..I haven't even gotten the issues yet and I've had it spoiled for me by various friends and internet sources.

All I can say, and Glenn can correct me if I'm wrong...is...

WTF??????!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!??!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I had this huge post written and it disappeared.

Having just finished reading the entire Disassembled "book"... I feel compelled to rant.

[spoiler]What the hell is BMB thinking? Is he? I'm inclided to agree with an article I read over at ain't it cool news about this run and finale of Avengers. Bendis pisses all over years and years of Avengers History.
HELLO...Wonder Man reminsicing about Wanda and Vision's wedding? HE WASN'T ALIVE!
Dr. Strange's statement "there is no such thing as Chaos Magic" is another crap pile Bendis didn't bother researching. Strange has USED Chaos Magic before. Why now all of a sudden would there be "no such thing?"
I'm angry...I've very angry. Why in the hell would Jarvis reminsce about what he was?? "Oh yeah, those were great times, I enjoy being tortured!" :roll:
And this whole "New Avengers" .... what...isn't Spider-Man and Wolverine in EVERY book Marvel publishes now? Is it cardinal law you can't write a book without Wolverine being featured? I'm sick...very sick...of it all.
The biggest cop out was Quicksilver. He's shown on a page in one of the earlier issues, but when he shows up in the finale, he was off at a cabin...reading a book. When someone asks about it.."oh, must have been that tricky Wanda." :roll: Yeah, whatever.
BMB, find another book to piss all over the history of. I would equate this with Grant Morrisons run on X-Men, but you know what... Eventually I'll forgive Morrison... BMB is out in the cold!
The whole story is so riddled full of holes its scary.
So now what....Hawkeye's Dead.... Thor's Dead....Wanda is effectively "Dead"...what now?
Now we get some ultimatized horsecrap with Wolverine.

That's it, I thought I was pissed off at George Lucas after Star Wars Episode II....it doesn't even compare to this.
[/spoiler]
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
Whew!

After that post all I can say is.......

You Go Girl!
Ever since I started reading comics about 3 years ago, Avengers has alwasy been my favorite monthly read, but now that the Chaos arc is over, I actually want to find Quesada and spank him for allowing such crap to be produced... and what's the big idea with New Avengers? If I wanted to see Wolverine, I'd buy one of the dozen X-Men books, and if I wanted to see Spider-Man, I'd buy one oh fis as well, but I don't I want to see Wanda, Cap, IronMan, Jan, Hank and company... Is it too much to ask? It seems it is, so I'll shut up now... I just needed to vent... Marvel always wants more money, so what's next? Wolvie will replace Thing in FF? Or Maybe Wolvie will become a God and join Thor in Asgard?

I'm freakin' tired of the Canadian Midget... It makes me wish I wasn'T canadian Sad

oh, by the way, nice board!
May I be the first to welcome Rhapsody's Scream. Nice to have you to the site. Also good to see new members posting and not being afraid of having their voices heard. I am going to be pelted with many objects both large and small for this, but I'll say it anyway. I am going to wait this out, and hope that Bendis can redeem himself. Do I agree with everything he's done? HELL NO. He's killed off and/or has ruined most of the things that I love about the Avengers! I do realize the holes in his story as Chanty spelled out for all of us. I'm dissapointed in Bendis for allowing his story to be so riddled with such holes. I believe he tried to do this story on too grand a scale and got carried away by the events he set in motion. I do believe Bendis to be a quality writer, though and I have spoken to the man in person about this exact subject. He insists that things will start to all come together eventually and that this is just the beginning. I also agree about the Wolverine issue that was brought up by Rhapsody's Scream. I am a HUGE Wolverine hater, and think that the character is so overhyped that it's ridiculous. We don't need him in this book. He has NO PLACE HERE! I am going to see what Bendis has in store for us, and hope that he doesn't dissapoint more than he already has. After all, I DO get Luke Cage! Sometimes, as I have found out on more than one occasion, you have to take the good with the bad!
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
Yes, I too shall send out salutations to Rhadsody's Scream.

I've been hiding in my own little corner ever since reading this story, because I too wanted to avoid being pelted with heavy objects. But since my esteemed brother had the guts to stand up, I will join him in saying that I didn't completely hate the Disassembled storyline either. Did I hate many of the things that came out of said story? Yes, absolutely I did. But as a whole I think the basic plot was a solid one. However it would have been better if they had strung it out over double the amount of issues that they did, instead of cramming such a huge cataclysmic story into only four books.

It was like Bendis tore apart the team for nothing but shock value and then wrote #503 as a way to explain the things he had tore down. But, with next summer's "House of M" storyline and the New Avengers title, I do feel like I should wait this out. Maybe I will kick myself for wasting time and money on 6 more months of Bendis' Avengers, but I just have to know first hand where the man is taking us. Disassembled left me with too many questions to just walk away now.

And while I do not HATE Wolverine, I do agree that he has no place with the Avengers. I don't mind Spider-man as much, but the furry Canuck should stick to any 4 of the other books that he headlines each month. Its almost as if Marvel is perpetrating some huge joke on the fans, seeing how many titles they can throw Wolverine into until the fans catch on. Well, let me be the first to say, "I'm on to your antics Marvel! So you can feel free to stop the shenanigans any time now."

Shenanigans! Shenanigans I say!!!
Hey, what's that place that we like to eat that's got all that crazy stuff on the wall?

But seriously, I too am a fan of Spider-Man being an Avenger. Yes, I know the market is rather saturated with Spider books, but putting Spidey in the Avengers might raise his social status some. He will going from "public menace" to bonafide hero. I just can't wait to hear what Jameson will have say about the whole thing.
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
Actually, I don't hate the Chaos story either, I do think it could have been handled better, but if it hadn't brought the end of the Avengers as we know it, I might even have loved it, It's not really in continuity... but then again, there aren't much comics who are in continuity...

As far as Wolverine is concerned, I'm 100% certain that it's a money plot to bring out Avengers in the spotlight so they sell more. Why? Because an Avengers movie is unlikely, and that Wolvie and Spidey each have movie popularity that can help boost the sales of Avengers, which we all know, isn't Marvel's best-seller... although it is a classic and it had a pretty regular fanbase.

I don't think Spidey as an Avengers will change his status that much... after all, since when does the effect of the events of one comic book has any effect on any other book? For example, Wanda is now in Genosha with Magneto and Xavier, yet will she ever appear in Excalibur? I doubt it... (although I'd like it) Chances are, Spidey being an Avenger won't even be approached in all his other titles...

I know it sounds pessimistic, but it's realistic...

btw, thanks for the warm welcome! Big Grin
Ahhh, but is Wanda truly in Genosha? Sure, we saw Magneto come and whisk her away, but we also saw a fleet of Kree war vessels obliterate the Avengers. So, needless to say, seeing is not nesessarily believing when you speak of the Disassembled story arc.

As for Spidey, I love what Bendis said about him in a recent interview with Wizard magazine. Bendis said that Spider-man is almost going to be the celebrity of the team. Because with the exception of Cap and Iron man, Spidey has been doing the hero thing longer than any of the other team members, and they are going to look up to him in awe. Sure, Jameson won't be making any heart felt retractions on the front page of the Bugle, but we will at least get to see Spidey get some respect from his fellow heroes for once.
Yeah, we also saw a horde of Ultrons as well.
I'm inclined to believe that this is all another bunch of BS concocted by Bendis. As much as I love Wanda, I'm to the point where "who knows and who cares?"

Someone will drag them all out of the limbo lounge eventually.
Let's see how well the mess gets cleaned up.

But for now, I think I'm just going to stick with reading the New Thunderbolts anyway.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
From what I just read on marvel.com, Wanda should reappear in Excalibur by January... it doesn't say her name but it goes like this...

Excalibur #9
http://www.marvel.com/catalog/showcomic....rmat=comic
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

"Magneto has returned to Genosha, and he’s got someone with him…someone who promises to shake things up for Professor X and his ragtag team! (There is something huge brewing here, hot on the heels of "Avengers Disassembled" – don’t miss it). Part 2 (of 3).

could it be Wanda?
The Mighty Thor Wrote:But, with next summer's "House of M" storyline and the New Avengers title, I do feel like I should wait this out. Maybe I will kick myself for wasting time and money on 6 more months of Bendis' Avengers, but I just have to know first hand where the man is taking us. Disassembled left me with too many questions to just walk away now.

Thor, think about what you're saying here. How much more of your well-earned money are you going to invest in a storyline that may not pan out? Or worse yet, may not pan out logically, or to your liking?

I regularly download my comics now and I'm saving quite a bit of cash. I regularly review the Avengers title and so have to buy it but most of the time I get it for free. Had these two situations not existed when "Disassembled" came about - I wouldn't be reading Avengers anymore.

This from a hardcore comics fan among whose favorite all time comics is Avengers. I think that says a lot about how I feel about the book right now.

Glenn Walker